Need to bypass server admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezined

Registered
hi

i need to update a buggered ipod but need to install ipod updater first. my tech assist is on holiday and can't be reached and has forgotten to unlock the server passwords for all machines, so i can't install or update any software.
any ideas how to get round this - i really need to get some work on my ipod today.

thanks!
d

Welcome to the forum! :)

When does tech assist come back? Assuming the server is at work, doesn't some one else have the passwords?

Hacking into a server - that is not a good idea. :(

Cheryl said:
Welcome to the forum! :)

When does tech assist come back? Assuming the server is at work, doesn't some one else have the passwords?

Hacking into a server - that is not a good idea. :(

unfortunately she's away until next monday - i need to work at home tonight and over the next few days and i've got about 20gb to take with me.
typically, nobody else has any idea what the password is. very frustrating because i only need to restore the ipod software!! not like i'm emptying the servers!!

Why don't you just install the iPod software from your home computer?
We could offer you some advice on how you can reset the server password, but since this requires taking the server offline, and since it could cause any number of problems on your network, I think it best we offer other solutions.

If you have access to ANY computer that is NOT the server, then it should be easy to install the iPod software from that computer instead. Once you've done this, you can then hook it up to the server and use it to transfer whatever data you wanted.

symphonix said:
Why don't you just install the iPod software from your home computer?
We could offer you some advice on how you can reset the server password, but since this requires taking the server offline, and since it could cause any number of problems on your network, I think it best we offer other solutions.

If you have access to ANY computer that is NOT the server, then it should be easy to install the iPod software from that computer instead. Once you've done this, you can then hook it up to the server and use it to transfer whatever data you wanted.

i'll have to try one of the macs at home, but i really needed to reset the ipod today to get some work on it for this evening.
it's such a small issue - i can't believe i need her password to update such an unimportant piece of software on my desktop, unfortunately that's just typical of the bureaucracy of the office/company/region/country that i live and work in...

I think you'll find this is not the "Server" password, but an admin password on the local machine, which is needed to install software. And this sounds rather dubious to me, as someone who works in IT Services, sounds more like "while the cat's away..."

Pengu said:
I think you'll find this is not the "Server" password, but an admin password on the local machine, which is needed to install software. And this sounds rather dubious to me, as someone who works in IT Services, sounds more like "while the cat's away..."

yes it is her password on the local machine, but no i'm not doing anything dubious. i'll explain...
my powerbook crashed on friday while i was running nortons on my ipod.
since then my ipod has been utterly buggered. won't play music, won't mount on any desktops, etc. i come into work on tuesday to find our IT chick is in taiwan until sunday and hasn't told anybody else what the password is if we need to install anything locally.
i literally only need to install the ipod updater to restore my ipod to it's factory settings in order to be able to take some work home this evening. very important and very annoying that i can't install something so simple on my own machine.
would it really be worth my time making this up? and i think i could come up with a much more interesting story than knackered ipod!!
i just need a little help if there's a solution out there!!!

d

Why would you run Norton on your iPod anyway? Never use Nortons.
I think you are going to have to wait.

Some apps allow them to be installed for the current user only, which doesn't require the admin password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back