NeoOffice/J 0.9 released

Viro

Registered
The OS X version of OpenOffice that doesn't need X11 has just made a new release. Get it at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

The most notable feature is the ability to cut & paste text and images from other Mac software, something that was sorely missed in previous versions.

If you've been annoyed with the way OpenOffice displays fonts under X11 (They're ugly. No point denying it), give NeoOffice/J a try.

As this is a development project, NeoOffice/J isintended for software engineers and is not yet complete enough for regular users.

It's still an interesting project. Trying it out won't hurt much (I think). Guess we're all looking for ways to ditch MS Office from our Macs. ;-)

yeah, no doubt. I'd love to drop MS Office... and I have enough complaints about OpenOffice... but it works. good find dude.

*slowly downloading this*

Its intended for developers in the sense that it hasn't undergone the rigorous testing that some office suites have, but that's never stopped anyone, has it? :)

Hehe... Fryke, I remember your web site about getting a collection of apps together to make a psuedo office collection. Ah, Okito!

damn it needs 256Mbs of ram....oh well guess i need to put it on my imac, just like open office it still has that UGLY windows-like gui, someone needs to port this stuff to the osx interface or offer some sort of themes or something.

Okito has been revived as NisusWriter Express, so that's still around. Haven't heard much about those spreadsheet apps, though... I still think it'd be a good idea to have someone put some of the great Cocoa apps together as a bundle... For those interested: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17502 is the old thread. :)

fryke said:
Haven't heard much about those spreadsheet apps, though...

Mesa 3 is still around, last I checked it was being offered with a special price if you buy it with Mellel ($29 instead of $39). From what I've seen of Mellel, it is a nice app, but the fact that it seems to use it's own font window instead of Apple's means that you lose a ton of Panther's new Text Services for Cocoa apps (anyone wanting to learn more about those improvements can read about them here).

Back