network 3 pc, 1 mac with jaguar and 1 printer

jsn

Registered
Hi

I have a printer connected to a PC in network with 3 pc and 1 mac.

With 10.1 I couldn't print on the printer connected to the pc, only I coud share files between pc and mac.

Can I share the printer with 1.02 between my mac and pcs?

How ?

thanks.
jsn

You could possibly set up your Windows computer to share the printer, but I don't think that regular SMB sharing works. At least I haven't seen anything in Jaguar's Print Center to make me think so.

You can set up GhostScript and a few other tools on your windows computer so that your mac thinks it's a Postscript printer. I have detailed instructions for doing this on Windows XP here: http://iharder.sourceforge.net/macosx/winmacprinter/

If you have something other than XP, the process is similar, but some control panels and whatnot are in different places.

-Rob

The CUPS printing system in 10.2 allows you to print to a printer shared on a windows box. Go to http://127.0.0.1:631 which is the web admin interface for CUPS. From there you can setup printers to print to a wide variety of different systems.

Supposedly you can also share the printer on the Mac to PC's but I've yet to get that to work correctly, but I will,just haven't had the time.

Brian

10.2 does have cups installed and can print to windows shared printers...However...it all depends on what sort of printer it is, and whether or not your winbox has LPD printing enabled.

I have 2 printers being hosted by my WinXP PC. One is connected via Parallel port and the other is connected via the USB port. Sharing is enabled for both printers and are being shared at Laserjet and Deskjet respectively. I also have the "unix printing utilities" installed and running. This enables the LPD printing ability of Win XP or Win 2k/NT.

Once that is setup, get on your mac and go to the Print Center and hit the add a printer button.

There is an option for connect to printer by IP or something like that. Choose it and add the IP address or Hostname in that box.
Now, because I have 2 printers, I had to uncheck the use default print queue box and add the shared name of the printer I was trying to install at the time, in my case... I added Deskjet to the Print queue box.

In the box that lets you choose what type of printer it is, I chose ESP because those are the Drivers that cups installs which allows me to print to a non postscript printer. If your printer is postscript capable, you can either find the driver that matches your printer, or choose generic postscript... but if your printer is like mine(Non Postscript) you might have to go with the CUPS drivers which are listed under the ESP manufacturer label. If your printer is an HP printer, the ESP/CUPS drivers will probably work for you, if not, you might have try some of the other newly available drivers, like the Lexmark ones, or the Epson ones....

Now if you want to connect the printer to your mac and share it with your win boxes, get the printer working on your mac first, then go to your windows box and choose add printer, the pick network printer and when it asks for the address type in http://yourhostname.com:631/printername and then pick the approprate driver when windows asks you for it.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to peruse your system with the terminal to find out where the CUPS config files are and edit them appropriately... I am not sure how extensive apple has configured the config files... I know that if you were to install CUPS from source code, by default, cups will not accept print jobs from any other host but localhost... so you will have to add some allow lines to that cups.conf file to allow printing from other computers... I will check on this tonite when I am in front of my mac.

Good luck, and don't forget to enable LPD printing on your Winbox.

Back