Network Printing to HP Laserjet 4 shared on an XP machine

finnMacCool

Registered
Having problems printing to my Laserjet 4 plus connected to a Windows XP box (parrallell printer port, none on my G5). It prints OK but it prints 7 copies of each page. I have set it up via the Print & Fax windows printing in the System Preferences, and tried using both the HP Laserjet 4 Plus v2013.11 (which didn't print anything) and the CUPS GutenPrint v5.0.0-rc2 (which prints 7 copies of every page).

Does anyone else have similar problems or know of any possible fixes?

Cheers,

Finn

Thanks MisterMe,
I upgraded to GutenPrint 5.0.0 but the problem is still there.
I have downloaded and installed the drivers from the HP website also, to no avail.
Has anyone else had this problem?

I am brand spanking new to OS X and I am trying to access a printer that is connected to my Windows XP Pro. When I try to connect the windows box using my user id and password, I get a message that states the user id or password is incorrect. I cannot seem to get past that message. Once I get beyond that problem, I may have another problem. The printer is connected to an HP Jetdirect 170x but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

TIA

It would have been better to start a new thread...
It is generally easier to use the jetdirect - skip the Windows Printing issues. but regardless we need to know the printer model.

Sorry I did not start a new thread, since this thread was related to my question I figured I could use it to post my question. I did follow the link provided above and it helped me install both printers. FYI one printer is an HP Deskjet 520 (connected via JetDirect) and the other printer is an HP LaserJet 4P directly connected to a second Window box. Again, thanks for all your help.

Back