networking my mac to my pc???

kidxsai

Registered
i want to network my g5 running osx 10.3 to my pc running windows xp. i have no idea what to buy and where to start?

right now only my pc has a internet cable connection. i want to share that with my mac as well as share files and the printer which is set up to my mac.

what would i need to buy to connect my mac and pc and share internet, files, printer?? thanks

the cheapest and easiest way would be to get a hub/switch with at least 2 ports (smallest are 4 ports I think). The brandname doesn'T matter at all. Just go for the cheapest. It will work with any os and hardware. I think the prices are around 20Euro or so.
Anyway, I would suggest you to get a router. A router is a "little computer" managing the network and allowing the comps to have internet access. This way, your pc could be off and you can still be online.
I would suggest you to get a router with 4 port. Price around 40Euro here when it has no wireless access point. However, it might be important to know, what kind of internet connection you have. You might need the fitting modem. If you are on dial up 56k, you will need a 56k modem in your router. If you are on dsl, you will need a dsl modem included in the router or an external one plugged between router and your phone line. For cable connection you don't need any modem AFAIK.
Now, about printersharing: What kind of printer do you have? Does it have a network plug as well or is it just usb? I don't know how well printersharing works when it's plugged to mac and shared with pc. I just know that it works just fine when reversed.
And filesharing: share a folder on your XP machine and turn on Personal filesharing and Windows Sharing in System Preferences -> Sharing.
However, if you really have no clue about all the network settings, you should come back here and we'll help you out. Don't worry! ;)

A router will share your internet connection quite nicely, and it will also act as a switch so you can share files. To share your printer you will need a print server. This depends almost entirely on the make/model of printer you own. If you have a printer with both USB and parallel port connections, and the ability to use them both at the same time, this is no problem. You can use the USB connection with your mac, and get a parallel port print server to share it with your PC over the network. If your printer does not have both ports, or can't use them both at the same time, you will have to find a print server that supports the same protocol that OS X uses. I've never seen one of these, but I'm sure they make them. Or, if by some change your printer has a print server internally you could just use that. To share files you will need to either set up a user on your mac that will allow connections from windows, and use that every time you connect, or connect from you mac every time, and log in using any user account on the PC.

To share your printer you will need a print server

This isn't correct.
Post what make and model printer you have and we'll help you share it. It's fairly easy to share a printer in OS X with a PC.

sorry for not responding. been busy with school. just wanted to thank all you guys for helping me out.

router it is! i guess i dont have to worry bout the printer tho since its broken.

thx

ok,..then how about this.

1 small network. No router yet, just 1 dsl modem feeding an 8 port switch, feeding 1 XP box and my mac. Each connect to the internet using the same account via pppoe.

Print sharing is turned on on the mac. And an HP Deskjet 895Cse is connected via usb to the mac.

How do I make the XP box see the mac and its printer? or Vice versa.

Stizz,

Can you see either computer on the other right now?

In XP look under 'network neighborhood' in the 'workgroup computers' or 'microsoft network' folder. It should be two or three deep (can't remember the exact names right off the bat).

On the mac look in the Network folder, you should see the XP box there. If you haven't changed the workgroup name for the XP machine, it should be in the WORKGROUP folder. Otherwise it'll show up as whatever you named the workgroup.

Once you know they see each other, just use the add printer feature on the wintel box. Choose network instead of local, then browse for it.

-------

Original Question:

D-Link 704-p or similar. Very quick and easy to setup, plus it has a firewall built in and a print server. Usually costs around $40 US.

stizz said:
1 small network. No router yet, just 1 dsl modem feeding an 8 port switch, feeding 1 XP box and my mac. Each connect to the internet using the same account via pppoe.

I wouldn't do that if i were you, sounds like a large security risk, your printer is shared to all cable users this way.

You really need to get a router that can give you a private LAN with your printer PC and Mac all inside - safe away from the eyes of the public. Some switches can do this but the basic ones can't. Go find a cheap router, usually you can pick one up that has a switch built in so it has 4 ports or so and a WAN link, you can then set up the router for your pppoe connection in the router so you dont have to worry about that.

Back