Networking to a Windows PC

Ian Goddard

Registered
I have a PowerPC G4 running Mac OSX 10.4.8. I am connected through a router to a Win XP machine. I can "see" the Mac from the Win PC but I cannot "see" the Windows PC from the Mac.

I have enabled Sharing on both PC's - There are other PC's on my home network, I can access them from the Windows machine, but again, they don't show up on the Mac.

I am new to the Mac so figure this problem is something simple

Have you tried going to the Go-->Connect to Servers menu and typing the following?

smb://<ip-address-of-PC>

Make sure that you don't have firewalls blocking sharing. Disable them temporarily if you have them. Norton Firewall does not like sharing, but the Windows one will open the sharing ports.

All,
Hey! It works - The Windows Firewall does not seem to be the problem but I can connect with the smb:// path. Who knew??
Thanks very much
Assegai

I need to have this problem fixed soon or I'll literally go crazy, so I really need you guys' help.

I've recently purchased Dell Windows XP desktop which I'm trying to connect to my PowerBook G4 through an Ethernet crossover cable. My PC shows that it's connected to MAC, but when I tried on my MAC -> GO -> Connect to Server -> smb://manual IP address which is 10.10.0.2. MAC gives me "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'smb://10.10.0.2' could not be read or written (Error code -36)" message.

My firewall on both computers is off, I tried everything including smb://PC and workgroup name, SMB options under Directory Access under Utilities, talked to Dell respresentatives for over 2 hours with whom I find it impossible to communicate, rebooting the machines a thousand times, trying different IP addresses............but nothing seems to work!

Funny thing is a friend of mine was trying to build the same setup, and I told her exactly what I had done and it worked perfectly on her computers. Does anybody know what coulud be causing this? Perhaps is there an extra hidden firewall that I'm not aware of on these new Dell machines? By the way I have Dimension E520 with Intel Duo Core if that helps at all.

I'm desperately seeking help!!!!!

Back