Nevous (Intel rumours)

Da_iMac_Daddy

Not-so-Neo-DumbA$$
I have heard rumors that next week Apple will announce that they will be using Intel processors in the new PowerBook. I hope that this isn't true. But supposedly my Comp. Sci. teacher has heard from reliable sources (a hardcore mac guy who seems to have inside info). Please tell me it ain't so!

Um.... Sources? :)

Well, if Apple would release Intel-based PowerBooks next week and they would be faster than today's, would run cooler (with longer battery life) and running Mac OS X, why not? If they would release them and they _would not_ be better, then why would they release them? ;)

You never know untill it happens. wait untill next week and then see.

Why do some of you not like intel? good and bad points?

just out of interest.

Originally posted by Quicksilver
You never know untill it happens. wait untill next week and then see.

Why do some of you not like intel? good and bad points?

just out of interest.

Intel isn't that bad other than just being a part of the Dark Side... The Wintel Side of the Force ;)

Still, if Apple would chose to go Dark, at least Apple should go AMD because AMD offers better CPUs with lower prices AND they have their act together while Intel seems to have messed things up:
-Should we go 64bit (Itanium1/2)? Should we take those GHz up (P4) or should we silent Hz forever (Centrino)? They simply cannot handle the way things currently are, at least not as easy as they used to handle 'em...

AMD has Intel on the ropes and it seems that AMD will continue to do so... Also, IBM's 970 should give Intel an additional headache methinks in the months ahead :rolleyes:

IBM and AMD rule! :D

Originally posted by hulkaros

Still, if Apple would chose to go Dark, at least Apple should go AMD because AMD offers better CPUs with lower prices AND they have their act together while Intel seems to have messed things up:
-Should we go 64bit (Itanium1/2)? Should we take those GHz up (P4) or should we silent Hz forever (Centrino)? They simply cannot handle the way things currently are, at least not as easy as they used to handle 'em...

Itanic - high end workstations/servers
P4 - desktops
Centrino - portables

How is this messed up? Plus you have to understand the history of Itanic to get a feel for where it fits in the Intel world. Hey, AMD can't decide on 64bit either by your logic. We have Hammer/Athlon64, but we aren't going to drop Athlon32, and what about Duron? And better is relative right? By most accounts the G4 is a "better" processor than either x86 chip. AMD and Intel go back and forth for the overal performance crown, but does that make either one better? Is Athlon "better" because it can perform with fewer clock cycles, or is P4 "better" because it can ramp up clock cycles (similar to IBM POWER vs DEC Alpha).

AMD has Intel on the ropes and it seems that AMD will continue to do so... Also, IBM's 970 should give Intel an additional headache methinks in the months ahead :rolleyes:

IBM and AMD rule! :D

On the ropes? How so? The two go back and forth, there are periods where AMD is able to garner more market share, then there are periods where they lose market share. Hardly "on the ropes". Is it wise for Apple to go with another cpu manufacturer who has problems ramping up clock speeds? How well could AMD survive the complete failure of Hammer (not saying it will, but if it did, how badly would it hurt them?) Vs how badly would Intel be hurt if they completely jetisoned Itanic. Is Apple better going with a proven track record, having been bit hard twice by Motorola (68K, PPC).

I don't expect a radical change anytime soon, really. Apple is quite traditional here... The PowerPC 970? Sure, if it fits perfectly. The Motorola PowerPC 7457-RM? Why not, it's easy to implement.

Going Itanium? Too expensive, too hot, too inappropriate.

Going P4? Nah. That's not a processor choice with a vision. Same for Athlon XP.

Athlon 64? This would make sense, but then again it doesn't seem like soooo much better than the PowerPC 970 which would certainly be the easier path.

What I see is the 'consumer' lines to go G4 7457, the PowerBook G4 going 7457-RM and the PowerMacs going PPC 970 at the end of the year 2003. But then again, I'm all for more power sooner. Bring it on and surprise me, Apple. :)

Lets see...

The 17" PowerBooks have been shipping a week and they will announce and Intel Powerbook in 2 weeks.... hmmm....

Listen. Intel isn't gonna power the next generation of Macs.
Possums will.
That's rigtht, you heard it here first folks.
The common Australian possum (with a possibility of using local possum or possum-like animals in the various continents, for local-appeal) will be wired inside to use the brain power of a possum. Human brains were considered originally, but the whole deal with getting a large supply of human brains for use as extremely advanced CPU's was seen as possibly a bad move in the eyes of the public.

...AMD has Intel on the ropes and it seems that AMD will continue to do so... Also, IBM's 970 should give Intel an additional headache methinks in the months ahead :rolleyes:

IBM and AMD rule! :D ...[/B]

AMD doesn't have Intel on the ropes. Although people are concerned that Opteron might take marketshare in both the server and desktop arena. But I think that Pentium4 will most likely still outperform Opteron in the 32bit space, and that Itanium2 will become a more desirable server architecture, because of Windows 2003 Server, which is ported to the IPF architecture.

If it weren't for the fact that currently the Centrino architecture doesn't support Linux, and thus probably not Darwin-based OSX, I would say that Centrino would be a good hardware-platform candidate for future Apple notebooks: low power and high performance.

But I think that people buy computers more because of the software they run, and secondly because of the hardware it runs on.

Originally posted by binaryDigit
P4 - desktops
Centrino - portables
How is this messed up?

Oh, you mean that you didn't know that Intel wanted badly their Itanium to be the next Px and THEN changed their tune simply because it was a problematic CPU when it was time for Hz (and to think that THEY went and still go crazy about Hz :rolleyes: ) ? And guess what is missing from your list? P3 and Celerons PLUS the Xeons... Oh, yes baby! Intel still sells those CPUs for:
Xeons - high end workstations/servers
Celerons - desktops
P3s, Celerons - portables
But then again Intel has its game together for you, aren't they? :rolleyes: Of course they do! That's what they want us to believe! That's why they are truly are the Dark Side and not just a part of it! :D

Plus you have to understand the history of Itanic to get a feel for where it fits in the Intel world. Hey, AMD can't decide on 64bit either by your logic. We have Hammer/Athlon64, but we aren't going to drop Athlon32, and what about Duron? And better is relative right? By most accounts the G4 is a "better" processor than either x86 chip. AMD and Intel go back and forth for the overal performance crown, but does that make either one better? Is Athlon "better" because it can perform with fewer clock cycles, or is P4 "better" because it can ramp up clock cycles (similar to IBM POWER vs DEC Alpha).

AMD simply plays Intel's game or if you prefer plays with people perception about CPUs: Hey, we need BIG performance for Servers only... Or we need 64 bits for computers... Or Hz rules! But then again Hz isn't the most important thing when you built a computer... That's why we need Centrino :confused:

Oh, no! AMD just plays the game that MANY people want those 2 companies to play... And yes G4 is a better CPU than either P4 or Athlon XP ;)

On the ropes? How so? The two go back and forth, there are periods where AMD is able to garner more market share, then there are periods where they lose market share. Hardly "on the ropes". Is it wise for Apple to go with another cpu manufacturer who has problems ramping up clock speeds? How well could AMD survive the complete failure of Hammer (not saying it will, but if it did, how badly would it hurt them?) Vs how badly would Intel be hurt if they completely jetisoned Itanic. Is Apple better going with a proven track record, having been bit hard twice by Motorola (68K, PPC).

AMD does keep Intel on the ropes simply because if it wasn't for AMD people should still run P3/1GHz at the most... Plus, for the first time in decades, Intel seems to act weird and I repeat this: For the first time in their history Intel had so many CPUs for so many "users" which for me this isn't bad in itself but it is bad simply because they did it just because they made terrible mistakes when they were designing their P4 and Itanium1... Oh, yes they did many mistakes! As for if they could abandon Itatium: When Itanium was Part 1 of their story they could do so but now after playing with Part 2... Hmmmm YES... They are in big trouble because P4 is not an efficient CPU in general and they knew it a long time ago: They simply wanted P4 to help them eliminate AMD from the Hz race... But guess what? AMD is simply too much for them! :D

That's why Intel wants you to know, love AND buy the Centrino and Itanium2 based computers out there... :rolleyes:

And yes, IBM is a better bet for Apple which I, of course, would like Apple to chose but AMD is my second best solution not because AMD has just better CPUs than Intel but because they have access to nVidia's nForce architecture which if you ask me is a very good one!

:D

Originally posted by malexgreen
AMD doesn't have Intel on the ropes. Although people are concerned that Opteron might take marketshare in both the server and desktop arena. But I think that Pentium4 will most likely still outperform Opteron in the 32bit space, and that Itanium2 will become a more desirable server architecture, because of Windows 2003 Server, which is ported to the IPF architecture.

I tried to explain this "on the ropes" to BinaryDigit above(!?) :D Still, Itanium2 while very good CPU and has Intel behind it, is a no match up with what AMD can do with its Hammer (I wonder why they gave it such a code name :rolleyes: ) in the 1-2 years ahead... Itanium2 is in Hammer trouble ahead ;)

If it weren't for the fact that currently the Centrino architecture doesn't support Linux, and thus probably not Darwin-based OSX, I would say that Centrino would be a good hardware-platform candidate for future Apple notebooks: low power and high performance.

We can have much better alternatives both in speed and battery areas: updated G4s, G970 or even Mobile Athlon XPs :rolleyes: Centrino is another trick from Intel which it seems good in the beginning but it is actually an old trick we all know and use in the end: Apple way of doing computers... Hey, with Centrino Wintel users cannot anymore boast about freedom of choosing parts! All Windows outside and All Intel inside! I think the Dark Side takes its job too seriously: Wintel anyone?

But I think that people buy computers more because of the software they run, and secondly because of the hardware it runs on.

They also buy computers just because their neighboors or opposite companies have the same things! Or even because it is a fashion! Or simply because they have to play the latest FIFA or NBA game! Or just because they buy while at the same time ignoring everything else... Windows and Intel all over the place, just because! :eek:

;)

Originally posted by hulkaros
Originally posted by binaryDigit
P4 - desktops
Centrino - portables
How is this messed up?

Oh, you mean that you didn't know that Intel wanted badly their Itanium to be the next Px and THEN changed their tune simply because it was a problematic CPU when it was time for Hz (and to think that THEY went and still go crazy about Hz :rolleyes: ) ?

This is just plain wrong. Intel NEVER planned on Itanic on being a x86 clone. As a matter of fact, x86 compatability was grafted on after the fact (the original design originated from HP and they didn't care about x86 compatability). This is one of the reasons why x86 comp. was so slow, it was an afterthought. Go back and read up on the whole history of Itanic/IA64 for details.

And guess what is missing from your list? P3 and Celerons PLUS the Xeons... Oh, yes baby! Intel still sells those CPUs for:
Xeons - high end workstations/servers
Celerons - desktops
P3s, Celerons - portables
But then again Intel has its game together for you, aren't they? :rolleyes: Of course they do! That's what they want us to believe! That's why they are truly are the Dark Side and not just a part of it! :D

Again, if they have manuf. willing to design pc's around these chips and they have fabs with capacity to make them then why wouldn't they continue to sell P3's/Celerons? The chips have way since payed for themselves and until they need the fabs for other things, it's like printing money. Xeon still exists because Intel can charge much higher prices for the minimal amount of performance boost they give you (that and their multi-cpu friendly). If Intel targets Itanic at those who don't care about x86 on the high end, they still need a chip for those who DO care on the high end.

AMD simply plays Intel's game or if you prefer plays with people perception about CPUs: Hey, we need BIG performance for Servers only... Or we need 64 bits for computers... Or Hz rules! But then again Hz isn't the most important thing when you built a computer... That's why we need Centrino :confused:

Why is this any different than any other product made? If Toyota is marketing their Supra, they will be spouting off about how "Performance rules" and they won't mention affordability and fuel economy. When they are marketing their Corolla you'll hear "Fuel economy rules, affordability rules". When they are marketing their Lexus line you'll hear "Comfort rules, build quality rules, luxury rules". Is Toyota schizo for pushing so many different cars and marketing them all with different focus'? Of course not. They have different products for different segments, each with their own focus. AND just like the auto industy, the number of different models for various segments shrinks and grows as the tastes of the consumers for these models changes.

Actually the interesting thing is that it is AMD et al that is forcing Intel to play this way, not the other way around. Itanic was designed to address the RISC threat (which never materialized). Celeron was designed to fend off the bottom feeders. Centrino and their mobile line to fend off the likes of Transmeta. And P4 to address the performance gap created by the Athlon.

AMD does keep Intel on the ropes simply because if it wasn't for AMD people should still run P3/1GHz at the most...

OK, then you're definition of "on the ropes" doesn't seem to match the most common one, at least around here. Usually when someone is "on the ropes", it implies that they are on the losing end getting beat up badly, close to getting knocked out/down. This HARDLY describes the AMD/Intel situation. But now I at least understand what you are trying to convey.

Plus, for the first time in decades, Intel seems to act weird and I repeat this: For the first time in their history Intel had so many CPUs for so many "users" which for me this isn't bad in itself but it is bad simply because they did it just because they made terrible mistakes when they were designing their P4 and Itanium1...

Again, look at your history. P4 is still the performance leader (not per mhz, but who cares if they can keep the clock rates going up). Laptops can't deal with such high clock rates (eats up way too much juice), so we have the Mobile line. Have you forgotten that one of the biggest selling points of Centrino is that it has 802.11 wireless BUILT IN. Seems like a good move on their part, as systems integrators will save money on their designs and are thus much more likely to go with the Centrino vs a rival (AMD) cpu for laptops.

And I've already talked about Itanic. Understand what it is before making comments about making mistakes. Some SPECInt (peak) #'s

2.2ghz P4 - 790
3.06ghz P4 - 1085
Athlon XP 2700+ - 878
Athlon XP 3000+- 960
1ghz Itanium2 - 810
1.3ghz POWER4 - 822

As you can see, the Itanic performs better than a P4 AND Athlon running at OVER TWICE the clockrate. Also, it outperforms a POWER4, which the 970 is supposed to be based on. Not to shabby and hardly "a mistake", at least not from an engineering standpoint.

And yes, IBM is a better bet for Apple which I, of course, would like Apple to chose but AMD is my second best solution not because AMD has just better CPUs than Intel but because they have access to nVidia's nForce architecture which if you ask me is a very good one!

You must be forgetting that the nForce was originally designed for the XBox which of course uses an Intel processor. That nVidia doesn't support Intel is a matter of Intel not caring to, not of any superiority that nVidia perceives AMD having over Intel.

So anyway. I think this topic has been beaten to death now. So I'll just get my parting shots in now.

- AMD designs "better" chips than Intel.
Purely subjective. AMD does certain things better, Intel does other things better. Intel has significantly more R&D money and their not afraid to use it.

- Intel is losing their grip because of the cpu proliferation that exists.
While Intel is being forced to deliver products based on _other_ manufacturers cpu offerings, the current state of cpu affairs represents the pc market as a whole, and NOT some strange state that Intel is in.

- Centrino shows that the mhz myth is really a myth.
Yes and no. Mhz obviously matter, you can't take that statement in a vacuum and make any conclusions one way or the other. Plus, ITS ALL MARKETING, GET OVER IT. Intel doesn't push the mhz myth (unless you claim that simply touting the benefits of your product is pushing a myth), it's their lower mhz competitors that do.

- Itanic is a poor design.
Well it's x86 compatibility isn't all that its cracked up to be, but then again, that wasn't supposed to be the point of the chip. Taken on it's own merits (i.e. running it's native instructions), it is actually an excellent processor that beats most other processors on the market on a per mhz basis.

Back