New DVD drive & Toast 7-->10.4.4 Getting wiggy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSatt

Registered
New LaCie d2 DVD-RW Firewire functions okay, but noticed mouse erratic. After repeated instances, ran disc repair and realized that disc utility was correcting permissions relating to DVD and Widgets. This is new. In past, I usually run disc utility on a weekly basis, and never had the number of lines of corrections in log as currently. (View attachment)

On opening DVD Player.app received error "initilization error...valid DVD Player could not be found (-70012) Trashed the applicable com.apple.plist file, reboot, same results.

Research produced a lot of chatter regarding same basic problem, alluding to a Firewire root, and a system relationship, but I couldn't get a sense of how to correct.

Running disc utility back to back, and showing successful repair on run completion, yet continues to show same repairs each time.

Reinstalled 10.4.4.... no change.

Lacie support pointed me to Apple core system solution.

It doesn't seem logical to me that all of a sudden "widgets" rears it's head at the exact same time (again, this is the largest repair permissions list I can remember in long time), and can't fathom the connection between DVD player and widgets. But then, that's why I'm here.

Thanks in advance,

-------------------------------------------------

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 OS 10.4.4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.0)
CPU Speed: 733 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Drive 80GB

Dual Monitor: View Sonic A90f & A70f

LaCie 1394 Disk drive 120GB
LaCie d2 DVD-RW Firewire

Epson Stylus Pro 7600
Epson Stylus Photo 2200

Attachments

• DiscUtilityRepairLog.doc
    61.5 KB · Views: 2
Disk Utility _always_ shows repairs about "special permissions" on some CD-related stuff. Think that started in 10.3.x and hasn't stopped yet.

The "We are using special permissions..." message is a standard notification for information purposes only and have appeared in DU since OS X 10.2 and according to Apple they can be safely ignored. You can confirm this by reading Apple Knowledge Base article 107298.

I have noticed that theses messages have increased dramatically with widgets for some unknown reason, but in any case they are, for almost all users, merely an annoyance.

So perhaps some more details about your mouse being "wiggy" would help us figure out a solution to that problem. What kind of a mouse is it? How is it connected to your Mac: USB, bluetooth, other wireless? If it is a third party mouse what driver and version are you using? Specifically how is it "wiggy"?

Quick response appreciated.
Using MicroSoft IntelliMouse 2.0 wireless. New batteries. I year in use... no previous problems. Term "wiggy" loose defination: ghost image on movement (usually smooth) and the feeling that finder open/close slowed a bit. Mouse on Wacom tablet did same, so didn't feel that I could point at tablet.

Open apps PhotoShop CS2, GoLive CS2, Painter IX. This is normal working desktop for me

As responders have informed me that the disc utility logs don't indicate a problem, I'll take comfort from that observation and chalk up my concerns to an over reaction. I'm more design oriented than systems savvy. I always maintain current backups of all important data, so will just relax and go for the ride.

Thank You,

J. Satterwhite
www.satgraphics.com
www.screamingeagles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back