New I-MAC user needs help. Cannot erase CD-RWs?!

silvergunner

Registered
[/COLOR][/FONT]Hi everyone. I need some help. I have just got a new I-MAC. Well actually my parents have but i go round to their house and use it. My problem is i cannot erase data saved onto CD-RW's to resave data onto them. When i go into the disk utility all the erase options are faded out to grey and i cannot click on anything. This being why i cannot erase my CD's and not able to resave on to them. I know there is probaly some really silly thing i am not doing, but any help would be much appreiciated

What did you use to burn those CD's? You need to use that burner program to erase and burn again.

What did you use to burn those CD's? You need to use that burner program to erase and burn again.

I burned the CD using the burn CD option in FINDER, on my toolbar. I have heard this is very basic. But i would of thought i could at least erase? No?

Erasing a CD-RW or DVD-RW disc
1. Insert the disc in the optical drive of your computer.

2. Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.

3. Select the disc in the column on the left and click Erase.

4. Select Quick Erase if you want to overwrite the old contents with new. Quick erasing does not erase all the previous content on the disc, but only allows it to be overwritten.

5. Click Erase. If you didn't select Quick Erase, the data on the entire disc is overwritten with zeroes. This takes a bit longer than quick erasing

Which step did you miss? I'd say the third one. Did you select the right disc?

Erasing a CD-RW or DVD-RW disc
1. Insert the disc in the optical drive of your computer.

2. Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.

3. Select the disc in the column on the left and click Erase.

4. Select Quick Erase if you want to overwrite the old contents with new. Quick erasing does not erase all the previous content on the disc, but only allows it to be overwritten.

5. Click Erase. If you didn't select Quick Erase, the data on the entire disc is overwritten with zeroes. This takes a bit longer than quick erasing
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which step did you miss? I'd say the third one. Did you select the right disc?

Thats my problem i can do everything up to number three on the list but i cannot click on anything else its all in light grey so i cannot click on anything else? Is it that i dont have clearance to erase discs?

Hmmmmm, check the owners & permission of the CD. Click once to highlight the CD, go to the file menu>Get info>Ownership & Permissions. Make sure you are set as the owner. Then click on Apply to all enclosures.

Now give it a try to erase.

Back