New iPods' Battery

kainjow

Registered
I was thinking about how the new iPods have longer battery usage, and came up with some ideas. See what you think.. (and see if I'm way off :)

• The new iPods don't have the backlit buttons which required battery power to light up the LED's.
  • The middle/select button now requires a physical "pressing". Would this save on power by not using touch-sensitive (which I imagine, your body is the ground for a circuit...).
  • An updated and newer battery is included with the 4G. But do we have proof of this?
  • Backlight has changed, according to initial reports (see here). Maybe they improved on how the backlight uses power?
Anyways, just some thoughts. Maybe there are some electrical engineers/geniuses on this board who might know more about this.

all the examples you listed are very good possibilities. Apple claims they didnt juice up the battery to squeeze 4 more hours into the iPod but i highly doubt this.

could be a more efficient circuitry. maybe the processor is different.

the backlight settings have probably been tweaked. backlights are one of the most battery draining features of notebooks and PDAs.

im kind of disappointed to see the scrollwheel isnt backlit. even though its such a simple design and would be hard to press the wrong button by mistake, its still nice for use in the dark.

im torn between the old 15GB for $250 (available until supply runs out) or the new 20GB for $299. come Thursday though, one of them will be MINE! muhahahaha! :D

kendall2 said:
im torn between the old 15GB for $250 (available until supply runs out) or the new 20GB for $299. come Thursday though, one of them will be MINE! muhahahaha! :D

No decision really ;) Not if it was me anyhow.

Back