New Omniweb browser

Have to totally agree with RacerX. OmniWeb has so many features that people don't even know about, because they don't take the time to get to know the browser better. That's sad, but it's like that. Hopefully, we users do a good job at promoting one or the other feature.

For example the text-input-field-(+)-sign. Hit the (+)-sign in the upper right corner of a text input field like the quick reply of a forum and you can enter your text in a good old text window! You can resize the window, enter your text, you can _import a text file_ or even print it (doesn't work in the beta, afaik). While you're typing, the input field of the web page is updated at the same time. When you close the text input window, the text's in the input field. Just hit 'submit' (or 'reply' on here) and you're done. Sooo good for writing in forums.

The 5.0 beta crashed inside of 5 minutes of usage. I really like the tab implementation, and I give the Omnigroup kudos for stellar UI features. But I've never been able to use any version of OW for more than a few minutes before it crashes - and this goes back to OS X 10.0. In that span, I've had the same problem on many versions of OS X and several different hardware configs. If they could just get the browser as stable as Safari, they'd have my $30.

serpicolugnut said:
The 5.0 beta crashed inside of 5 minutes of usage. I really like the tab implementation, and I give the Omnigroup kudos for stellar UI features. But I've never been able to use any version of OW for more than a few minutes before it crashes - and this goes back to OS X 10.0. In that span, I've had the same problem on many versions of OS X and several different hardware configs. If they could just get the browser as stable as Safari, they'd have my $30.

Wow, I can't remember the last time I had OmniWeb crash on me. The current instance I am using for typing this has been used constantly since I logged in on my system yesterday evening (granted I have been using 4.5 during that time, but I have yet to have 5 crash during the time I was trying it on my other system).

I agree with you that no browser would ever get my money unless it was at least (if not more) stable than Safari... OmniWeb more than Qualifies. I only need to go to a site with some Java based graphics in Safari to remember why I only use OmniWeb any more.

Sorry you have had so many problems, it's a dam good thing they aren't universal. The rest of us have stable browsing and wonderful features. As I have worked with OmniWeb on tons of systems that I service for a living (and installing crash prone software is not a good idea in my business) I would suggest that you may need professional help with your system. No Mac OS X system should be experiencing those types of problems... even using IE as a browser.

(note: I haven't had a crash since December 1st, which is as far back as my sent mail goes. I always send the Omni Group a crash report which comes from my mail... that is at least two solid months for me using OmniWeb as my default without crashing)

serpicolugnut said:
The 5.0 beta crashed inside of 5 minutes of usage.

That is weird. I have been using it all day and night... not 1 crash.

btw... OmniWeb under Rhapsody was the best browser. Back me up on this one RacerX :D ;)

Back