New PowerMac tower's picture (much clear)

Do you like the new PowerMac G4's looking?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not against the design, it looks like everything on it has a purpose. But I can't say that I actually like it. I feel somewhat indifferent to the overall design. The small touches like the "air vents" in the front and the separate color section for the drive bays seems kludgy.

Also, since I have finally gotten to see one, I like the 3 buttons on the current quicksilver case.
Power button, obvious, lighted, finger sized.
reset button, smaller, labeled, hard to press, especially by accident.
Programmer's button, since it's never used any more, is really tiny (pen sized)

They are arranged such that their diminishing size forms an implied line on tangent with all of them. A minimum of simple lines, and even fewer right angles. Simple. Elegant.

The new box picture shown has squares, almost rectangles, dumb button placement, and the bulgy build of the original. It just seems thrown together in terms of looks rather than designed. The inside may be gorgeous though. I don't know. And that may be the part that really matters.

If that picture is real, I want to meet the one who did the lights on that because I do not understand anything of that light, and I've been doing pictures in studio for 15 years...
the metal cover has dark areas that do not reflect any of the other lights
that hit the mahine...
Another point I am very surprised that Apple would place a speaker
that way, they have to realize that on the Quicksilver it was a mistake not
protecting the speaker (go to any shop who display G4 towers) and look at
the speaker, 40% of people who do not know that machine will go push on the speaker...

-Sighter

while for the external speakers packed with the iMac G4, the lack of a grill ads to the clarity of the delivered sound; on the main box, that speaker needs to be reliable more than clear. It's mono and recessed, nothing else about that speaker screams "quality audio." It should have a grill of some sort.

Yeah, I'm not at all looking at the picture as though it were real. I'm just looking at it as a table for discussion about box design, and what we consider important in an enclosure.

yeah... I do not like the speaker placement. Not as cool as my 8100/80AV. the speaker is on the top!

Back