New stuff on the Apple Store

Nope. Maybe they could announce those at WWDC and ship in the fall. I don't know though, it seems too close to WWDC for that.

cybergoober said:
Is it just me or are the Cinema Displays cheaper? I don't remember how much they were before...
I think you're right. The displays are cheaper at least about the 20" and 23" displays. 30" looks to be the same.

Pretty good, definitely good that they bumped up the video cards and doubled the stock RAM. It was hoping they would go to PCI-E x16 though.

it's kinda disappointing really. there's just nothing to rave about. they spend half a page going on about dual-layer dvd (hardly a new thing), as there's just nothing to actually say.

it sounds like a stopgap for tiger-ready power macs to sell (how many people said on this forum they were so desperate for 3ghz that they couldn't wait and would buy a 2.7 ghz instead) they'll sell, just cause it;s something new. i see something bigger on the horizon they just havent tamed it down to be released in time for tiger. so they relase a stopgap for some quick sales

Convert said:
Sorry for my poor attention, but what were the speeds before? 1.8, Dual 2, Dual 2.5?
Actually you're correct those were the speeds, but if you do a double-take it's like nothing really changed at all.

This upgrade is pretty much a non-event. Apple is as much as admitting that, given the no fanfare announcement. A small icon on the bottom of their splash page is pretty much their way of hanging their head in shame. It's as if they're saying, "Yeah, we really wanted to deliver on the 3GHZ thing and we're really trying to get the dual core thing going too, but it's just not oging to happen for a while, so here's this crappy update. Enjoy."

Though I'm disappointed in the pace of their progress with the G5, it's still a great machine. And with Tiger should really be a wonderful top to bottom experience for anyone. At least I'm going to keep telling myself that as justification for getting one tomorrow.

Now, let's assume that the PM G5 ever _makes_ it to the 3 GHz barrier. Will Steve smile like he delivered? Although 1-2.5 years late? Will we applaud?

fryke said:
Now, let's assume that the PM G5 ever _makes_ it to the 3 GHz barrier. Will Steve smile like he delivered? Although 1-2.5 years late? Will we applaud?
If the manufacturing process can improve to produce the next gen PPC in excess of 3Ghz like the claims made of the Cell. Perhaps Apple will skip 3Ghz altogether. Besides, will a 300Mhz increase some months from now wow anyone? Doubtful unless the next systems are 3, 3.5 and 4GHz.

It might not be anything to write home about..but apple are not going nuts about advertising this as a massive update. It is the forums which are doing just that.

Its just bringing the machines up to date as far as standard ram and dvd drives. I was disappointed that my g5 only had 256mb ram stock. My cheap and nasty (work supplied) dell laptop has 1gb!

Lets not get upset about this.. its a minor update to the product line to bring them inline with the changes in the market.

The big bannna is 10.4

If this kept up, i.e. they released more frequent, more incremental updates (improving memory, cpu speeds, peripherals, etc) I'd be happy... I definitely think that the 9 months between updates thing hurts sales (and us)...Though obviously the pace lately has been too slow...

Back