New tiger build

this is wonderful.

If a lot of these features were shown at WWDC, people wouldn't be complaining that this was lack luster.

can someone please explain how a chat app update and family contols are a big deal? I don't mean this against the creator of the thread but rather the writer of that article.

Mind if I complain and wonder why I still haven't seen an update to Tiger in my Developer account? I know not every build is deemed ready for developer consumption, but it'd still be fun! :)

I don't mind - I feel the same... *sigh* My _guess_ is: The WWDC build was a 'safe' build. Quite stable and only with the stuff in they wanted to show already. They then went into a more unstable phase and wanted to get everything in. And what they're probably going to _show_ us in a few days/weeks will be one of the early 8Bxx builds...

And on the topic of why these 'small' things are important: For many people frequenting these forums, _anything_ new in Mac OS X is important. We want to know what's going to change. And Jabber support in iChat is especially important since there's been talk about iChat adopting other protocols for, well, years!

I've been wanting to share my address book with the rest of my company for ages. At the moment all edit are done on my Address Book then I back up my database, then all other users revert to my database. What a Pain in the A**

Tiger = Sorted

To me this is a big deal!

Well the guy who wrote.. uh. Proteus i think, now works for apple on the iChat team.

Is the jabber protocol compatible with any other networks IE MSN or is it just a another IM protocol, if so what would better if they supported the more widespread IM networks, or would they need a lisence?

Sorry, I have to share this story with everyone here...

My good friend is a huge UNIX person and has moved to Mac OS X (YAY!). He works for a large university, which I won't name. There was a real push to get a messaging server and client built for the school, so he used Jabber and wrote his own system. He finished about a week before I left for WWDC and, guess what? Apple announces that they're shipping as part of Tiger what he just built.

Sorry, it was just really funny to call him up after that keynote.

This brings me back to topic, though (I always do!). While IM may not seem like a big deal to the average home user, for larger bases, its a really big deal. I've implemented iChat via Rendezvous in my environment and people love it! They forgot to use it at first, until I set it as a managed preference that it must run on login. ;) I know when we get Tiger Server, I will be implementing company-wide messaging and I'll be able to do it almost just out of the box, I bet!

I guess a good question would be, how will iChat Server work? Will it be Rendezvous discoverable? If so, since Apple built in Rendezvous in iTunes for Windows, might they consider bundling a special Jabber client with Rendezvous? Just speculation, but this is Apple. They'll want to make this dirt easy to implement and I'm sure if they have a chance to continue bringing Rendezvous to the masses, they will!

No big news here. The build numbers specified at appleinsider are not necessarily the newest.
Jabber .. can not comment anything related (for my own safety).

Hmm... That means it's in. Because if it were _not_ in, you'd have no problem saying it isn't. I mean: You won't get fired for saying something like "Tiger won't be 128bit." Because it's nonsense. And if Tiger hadn't got Jabber, nobody would fire you for saying it hadn't... ;-) Thanks, Gia. :p

the new calculator seems very interesting...

a nice replacement to Maple, Matlab or Mathematica when calculating or sketching simple stuff....
a nice add..

and a nice new feature is the energy saver,
i had thought of something like this earlier, can be useful :)

Seems the new graphing calculator was a product bought from... sh!t. can't remember where from. Some swedish company.

DJ Rep said:
Is the jabber protocol compatible with any other networks IE MSN or is it just a another IM protocol, if so what would better if they supported the more widespread IM networks, or would they need a lisence?
Protocols are protocols, they aren't really suppose to be compatible with each other. It's like saying "Is German compatible with Spanish?"

What's more noteworthy is what IM software you use. There are many clients (such as Trillian) that support many different protocols. For that, yes they would need a license to make the client IM software not to create a new IM protocol. Most open source and free clients use code from people who reverse engineer the proprietary protocols. I've looked at the Gaim source code and read docs of how the AIM protocol works. Jabber protocol is very open and it is built on XML for transmiting data, so it can be easily adapted to many platforms and integrated into any program with an XML parser.

If there's an XML parser library for OSX, then there should be a Jabber client already. Or better yet a multi-protocol IM client with a Jabber add-on. Those types of clients try to make chatting across multiple protocols somewhat seamless.

However, I haven't seen one make chatting across protocols seamless. It basically rather means that you yourself have various accounts with their buddylists combined. Your AIM buddies still can't talk to your Jabber buddies - unless they, too, have accounts on both protocols.

This _does_ work between ICQ and AIM, however. But I've talked enough about that.

I wonder how Apple will promote Jabber. Will it mean that an iChat user can't necessarily talk to _another_ iChat user (one using .Mac, one Jabber, for example)? That'd not be _that_ easy to market for Apple...

Back