Next gen iMacs G5 CONFIRMED!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
$1299's my guess, but I'm thinking $1499 may be more realistic.

Also, does anyone else find it weird or has anyone else noticed that Apple sells remarkably whole, even-numbered amounts of their hardware? They sold 860,000 iPods. Not 859,437. Not 76. Not 900,002. 860,000 exactly. Scary. ;)

from my experience, accounting people (i.e. the CFO in the article) round UP, as sort of an "everything is fine and dandy, please dont fire me..." kind of thing. Whereas Jobs would probably have told you exactly how many were sold, and the shipping addresses of the last 10 people who bought that item. :D

I'm impressed they got the G5 in there. I'm going to speculate that the form factor will change dramatically, and unfortunately be slightly bigger/bulkier than what we have now (due to the G5 heat issues).

I speculate that it will be all brushed aluminum and will be pretty cool. Cool enough where we'll debate whether it's cooler than the previous iMacs.

Rumor has it that the motherboard will be located directly behind the LCD display... could we be seeing a flat-panel version of the G3 AIO as the new iMac?

If the motherboard will be directly behind the screen, would the CD/DVD load vertical?
I really want apple to bring compatibility to the cinema screen with the new iMac... please!

I'm hoping the iMac can thwart my hopes of a G5 tower. I really can't afford it right now, but I might be able to swing a nice iMac.

Its not so much the tower either, its the display line to go with it! The "cheapest" matching display is $1299.00, which is the price of a nice entry level iMac!

The cheapest display is not $1299... any DVI display is ok. Or even any VGA display with the Apple DVI to VGA adapter ($19).

You know if Apple follows form, we've probably already seen what the new iMac looks like. I think the folk who're backing the AIO flat screen are on the right track. Think how the current G4 iMac resembles the old plexiglass Cinema Displays. I bet the G5 iMacs will follow the same design ques and have brushed aluminum bezels and a single foot stand. If it' weren't for the heat issue I'd even endulge the idea of them looking like the new Cinema displays only with a slot for a Super Drive.

Because of the heat issue, I offer this small change, the guts of the computer will be housed seperately while the screen will house some USB and 1394 connections, 4 GB Flash drive, RAM and a battery. The CPU will live in a brick (Cube) that will include a power supply two PCI ports, 3.5" HD, and four quiet fans. The innovation is that the monitor is detachable and exist as a simi smart tablet while detached. The tablet is capable of hand writing recognition, text and video display along with running all the iApps. So you'll be able to take the display/tablet with you to class/meeting or short presentation. Take notes while you're there and sync everthing once you return to base. The Peice de la Resistance is that the monitor also houses a 400mhz ARM chip to handle the light stuff while detached. Hence answering Apple's critiques on why the company never fielded a PDA. Jobs will say "no one wants to do real work on a tiny screen, they want a 17" legal pad to lay their thoughts out on."

The media will once again scratch their heads and wonder aloud, "how do they keep redefining the impossible!" With in 14 months of launch PDA sales will plummet, PalmOne will announce it's in talks with Apple. ::evil::

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Rumor has it that the motherboard will be located directly behind the LCD display... could we be seeing a flat-panel version of the G3 AIO as the new iMac?

I think I might have started this rumour:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=316119&postcount=3

At least, I posted that before I'd seen the rumour anywhere else.

Personally, I'm really hoping for white. Plus, with the exposure the current iMacs get due to their whiteness (ie: they're used in just about every 'minimalist' design scheme you see on tv or in magazines), I think Apple would be smart to stick with white.

chevy said:
The cheapest display is not $1299... any DVI display is ok. Or even any VGA display with the Apple DVI to VGA adapter ($19).

Yes, I know there are tons of displays, but note how I specified "matching" as in Apple built to go with the computer. Technically I could go out and buy a 15" CRT to do FCP4 work at home on...its just not a good idea! ;)

Remember, Apple sells ease of use, one vendor for all your needs with all your products integrated together. Going back to third parties for basic components eliminates that ease.

Go3iverson said:
Remember, Apple sells ease of use, one vendor for all your needs with all your products integrated together. Going back to third parties for basic components eliminates that ease.

You mean like mice?

The computers do come with mice, yes. ;)

Believe it or not, every one of my users refuse to use anything but the Optical Apple Mouse with their machines.

You gotta admit it, the Apple Pro Optical Mice are quite nice and VERY high quality.

They just lack a scroll wheel and moret than one button, which some users refuse to do without.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You gotta admit it, the Apple Pro Optical Mice are quite nice and VERY high quality.

They just lack a scroll wheel and moret than one button, which some users refuse to do without.
I 100% agree. When I use a Mac with normal Apple mouse, it feels very nice and smooth and comfortable, but for pro users is just not good enough.

a second button missing on the mouse, not really a big deal.

but a mouse without a scroll button, its unbelievable.

its like having a computer without a USB port!!!

a scroll wheel is necessary, and not just for web browsing!!!

Well that's what "The Mouse" was made for (at www.macmice.com from memory). It's a two-button, scroll-wheel enabled Apple Pro Mouse, or there abouts.

I was going to buy a BT one, but I wasn't too keen on its lack of finger holds on the sides like the Apple Pro Mouse has, and I also prefer the design of the corded Pro Mouse (with the smaller inside encased in clear acrylic) than the BT version, on which The Mouse is apparently modelled, where the inside takes up far more room (understandably, there's alot more going on inside a BT mouse than a corded one).

Ooooo...I likes it... Dang, wish I'd known about that before I blew a few bucks on a new Logitech...

(Not that I don't like Logitechs, I think they make wonderful peripherals (and their wireless model kicks the crap out of the Microsoft version), but the MacMouse there is just so much better, styling-wise...)

Back