Next Steps (pun not intended) for Mac OS X

Next Steps

• Usability Check: Finder should feature more/better options how to handle the file system

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Graphics Acceleration: Mac OS X should make the best use of whatever graphics card is in supported s

Votes: 55 49.1%
  • Carbon API: Let's have a Carbon API that makes Carbon applications shine among Cocoa alternatives

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • Themes Support: Open up the APIs for Themes, so 3rd party developers can start to develop themes fas

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • UI Changes: Make Aqua look less yummy and more professional (at least the Graphite option)

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • Raw Speed: Forget about new features for a while, accelerate everything

Votes: 79 70.5%
  • The "i" in iMac: Make Mac OS X a first class citizen on the internet - faster browsing, better suppo

Votes: 44 39.3%
  • Location Manager: Let mobile users rock the world with a full featured location manager

Votes: 12 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dear All,

The most important thing that I would like addressed in 10.2 is performance. MacOS X has to be faster, I can't stress that enough. Die hard users of X will remember the painful days of 10.0.x and it was a welcome rejoice when 10.1 was released. If Apple can give 10.2 the same performance jump as within 10.1, I will be a happy man.

As someone said, Themes will never be supported by Apple. They weren't even supported in MacOS 8.5, so what makes you think that they will start now?

I would like MacOS Classic features reintroduced, like Labels, Appearance Sounds and WindowShade. An option to turn off those bloody shadows and transparences. Anything to speed up the OS.

Well, there's my two cents worth...
:)

Themes *were* supported in Classic Mac OS. I still have Apple's official themes for Mac OS 8.x (they were in Alpha and some Beta versions of Allegro, but taken out later on in the development process). Gizmo and HiTech were fun to play with, but actually they were just that. ;)

Okay, Apple never published tools on how to create third party themes, but clearly the interface was there. The 'Appearance' control panel lets you switch between 'Themes' and 'Appearances' (the two terms were mixed up late in the process of Allegro - Mac OS 8.2/8.5 - when themes were taken out of the package but the facility was still there).

But, as we can see, nice people have found ways around it, so we *do* actually have themes for Mac OS X. Although I'm personally back to Aqua again.

Finally, a thread that agress with my long held stand that OS X is simply too slow in many areas (though quite zippy in others to be fair).

I really hope this Apple/ATI/NVidia or whatever the heck it is rumor is true (about a custom card for OS X graphics acceleration). Course, it could be a year before we see anything.

mindbend: Like I said in the other thread, there's a difference between "too slow" and "needs improvement". Obviously, if it were too slow, we wouldn't be using OS X. But in the other thread, just about 90% said they would ONLY use OS X, so it can't be "too slow".

And I remember how Apple once demonstrated a Kaleidoscope scheme-to-theme converter, but it never saw the light of day because Kaleidoscope fans were in an outcry about how their software would be useless. *sigh* If only I found a leaked version of that piece of software...

Ah, well, I'm still hoping that there will be official theme support.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
I know many people seem to dismiss my harping on defragmentation speeches, but it really does keep your system running zippy. and it is so much easier than

Which program do you use to defrag??

zaphod - i primarily use plus optimizer. it is the best combination of safe, fast and easy to use. techtool pro works as well and i probably should retry it soon since the last update.

Since OS X is UNIX based, I would like to see a few things most UNIX OS's have in common.

It would be nice to be able to install anything without having to reboot. Rebooting is a drag, especially after running Linux for as long as I have.

It would be nice to have multiple desktops to switch between. This feature can currently be found in XP.

It would be cool to be able to switch between users and apps without having to close them down and logout completely. XP currently features this as well.

Originally posted by azosx
1) It would be nice to be able to install anything without having to reboot. Rebooting is a drag, especially after running Linux for as long as I have.

2) It would be nice to have multiple desktops to switch between. This feature can currently be found in XP.

3) It would be cool to be able to switch between users and apps without having to close them down and logout completely. XP currently features this as well.

1) You're completely right!

2) It's not true. You need third party software for that in Win XP - just as in Mac OS X.

3) Yes, it would be cool. Not necessary, but cool indeed. Also uses a lot of harddisk space.

Originally posted by fryke

1) You're completely right!

2) It's not true. You need third party software for that in Win XP - just as in Mac OS X.

3) Yes, it would be cool. Not necessary, but cool indeed. Also uses a lot of harddisk space.

For #2, it's not 3rd party software but actually Microsoft Power Toys for XP. I don't know why they don't advertise it more. Perhaps because it's more or less betaware.

For #3, it's actually very useful. Especially if you have only 1 computer but many users. Say you're working on a webpage, have everything laid out, html, graphics, music, flash but need a break. Someone else is going to want to use the computer of course so instead of having to close everything down, you just logout and let them use the computer without worrying about anything getting messed up. Log back in when they're done and everything is right there, waiting for you, just as you left it.

I'm excited about Rendezvous in Jaguar and hope printers with this technology hit the market soon. I love my PB G4 DVI and am glad I bought it when I did. Jaguar is going to be so great.

Performance, performance, performance ...

When I click on something on my PC at work it responds immediately, when I click on my G4 with OS X.1.5, I wait I wait ... and then it responds.

That's unacceptable because processor-wise, my G4 has twice the power than the crappy P3 my work PC runs on...

Hopefully Jaguar hardware acceleration will do the job but the expectations from everyone are so high that some of us are doomed to be disappointed....

:confused:

Originally posted by azosx

For #2, it's not 3rd party software but actually Microsoft Power Toys for XP. I don't know why they don't advertise it more. Perhaps because it's more or less betaware.

Probably because they really mess with the shell, and are a "use at your own risk" thing. I've been using the Power Toys (and Kernel Toys) since Win95 and can't live without them at this point, especially TweakUI and Command Prompt Here.

1. More speed. I'm running a 500mhz G3 iBook so I can't expect too much. I'm very interested in how Jaguar will improve the performance on an iBook like mine.

2. Virtual Desktops. I've got this capability on my Linux box and its great. Apps can stay out of each others way and allow you to have a pretty clean desktop.

3. Ogg Vorbis support in iTunes and the iPod. When this happens, I will be first in line at the store to pick up my iPod.

4. A better mail client. Mail.app just flat out sucks when trying to connect to my imap server. It hangs many times. Maybe Apple can throw a Quartz interface around Evolution. That would rock.

5. Not OS X related but its my wishlist. Apple should throw some developers on Open Office and get it ported to run natively under OS X.

Back