No Ethernet Configurations

BoaRd bRYce

Registered
Okay, I have a 350mhz G3 system set up as a print server. It is running OS X Jaguar. It just stopped working on the network, so I opened up System Preferences and found that everything in the drop down for Configure under the TCP/IP tab are for Dial-up Modem settings. I have Built-in Ethernet in the Show menu, so I went to network port configurations and un-checked the modem, and still nothing. So I deleted the Built-in Ethernet one and created a new one that I just called Ethernet. Still Nothing. Is there a quick fix I'm missing here? Or will I have to reinstall OS X?

does it get its ip from a DHCP or does it have a fixed one? Try getting the default settings back (Built-in Ethernet) and then try again with ping. Maybe you got some probs in sharing the printer and not network?!?
I have the feeling you are an experienced user. So, before we start with some basic checks, tell what you already did on your own. Where you able to ping any other machine from the G3? Did appletalk work? Did you change the network cable? Did you change the switch/hub port? Did you specify your network data or just use automatic? ...

Well, okay for the sake of others that may have this problem I'll tell you what I did, but my problems have just worsened. I tried to reset the default network settings, but it still showed no ethernet configurations. Yes I am running through a DHCP router that automatically assigns IP and also finds DNS servers. I couldn't get the DHCP configuration to ever show up. I have a feeling this may be somehow tied into the printer software I use. I have this piece of crap program called Microspot X-Rip. I only use it because its the only software that supports my PC based HP plotter. For whatever reason the software requires Appletalk to be active, otherwise I would not have it on.

Okay, let me tell you about my other problem now. I figured it would be a lot faster and easier just to reinstall the OS. That way I could get a lot more done than waiting for a reply in here. So I went through a basic install, but took off all the extra features like iTunes and such. It never asked me for the second disc. It says its finished and when it restarts, it appears to be loading fine and then it stops at a blue screen with nothing but the mouse cursor, which by the way can still be moved. I've tried reinstalling several times, with multiple install discs.

Why exactly did you reintall? That was probably the worst move you could have made to troubleshoot your computer. All you had to do was turn off PPPoE, and go back to the TCP/IP tab. Now you're stuck. I hope you can reinstall the OS correctly.

So, now your question is: how to reinstall your os? Well, which one is it?
Did you try default installation?
Something wrong with your discs?
Did you format the drive before installation?
Did you check the drive before installation?

arden said:
Why exactly did you reintall? That was probably the worst move you could have made to troubleshoot your computer. All you had to do was turn off PPPoE, and go back to the TCP/IP tab. Now you're stuck. I hope you can reinstall the OS correctly.

I tried that, DHCP or any other ethernet configurations just would not show up. I didn't have any info saved on it, as its just a print server, so it seemed like a quick fix. I've installed many different operating systems many different times, so it is nothing new to me. My problem is not with the discs, because I tried several different discs. Yes, I did reformat my drives before install, and I ran the disc verification tool. So after I installed it it went throught the finalization process and restarted, and then it wouldn't load all the way. It load all the way until right before the login screen, and it stops showing nothing but the mouse cursor and a blue desktop. There is no menu bar, no dock, nothing. I left it for about 4 hours to see if it would eventually do something, because I could still move the mouse cursor, and the screen would flicker every so often. I wondered why it never asked me for the second install disc, because every other time I've installed OS X it has asked me for it.

did you ever get any further with this.I think I have messed up mu ethernet configuations and cant work out how to reset them. My net work status says that niether my internal modem or builtin ethernet is set up

Back