no ethernet link & ifconfig unresponsive

garrick

Registered
I just got a new DSL router (ZyXel 645) with a static IP. I set up all the TCP/IP settings on my G4 AGP 450 and when I connect the two with an ethernet cord, there's no link light- an no network. Opening up Network Utility says the Link is inactive and the ip address = 0.0.0.0.

If I plug my TiBook 500 into the router w/ the exact same settings, everything works perfectly.

I thought the 450 maybe having an ethernet auto-negotiate duplexing issue, so I ran a couple of ifconfing en0 commands - all ended in "Operation not permitted" errors.

I can connect the TiBook & the G4 450 and transfer files through ethernet. So I know the port is functional.

Has anyone experienced and similar problem & found a solution?

The TiBook (and the iBooks, too, BTW) will autonegotiate the crossover state (this is not the same as duplex) of the ethernet port based on the cable in use and the uplink style of the other device (DSL modem, computer, hub, whatever). But I don't believe that the G4/450's ethernet port does that.

You probably just need to get a crossover cable to connect the G4 to the DSL modem. The cool thing is that the TiBook will auto-negotiate the cross-over cable just like it does with the straight-through cable, so the TiBook will work regardless.

Out of curiosity, why did you need a cross-over cable for your router instead of a straight-through ethernet cable?

It's a combination of the Zyxel modem and the G4 Sawtooth 450. For some reason, this combination requires a crossover cable. My TiBook was fine w/ the straight-through and the Zyxel. That was the frustrating part.

'cos that's the way it is... ;)

Seriously, I think the assumption (on the part of the router manufacturer's) is that the router will be plugged into a hub, so the the port is wired to be a straight-through device, so you can use any commonly-availiable straight-cable and connect it to any (except the uplink) port of the hub and have it work. If it was wired as x-over, you'd either have to plug into the uplink port on the hub, or use a x-over cable.

Plugging the router directly into a computer means that you have 2 straight-through ports connected back-to-back, requiring the use of the x-over cable.

The *Books are special - they'll figure it out either way.

Back