no OS9 startup anymore ?

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
New Macs will not be able to start on OS9 from beginning of 2003. Does Apple have any plan for software that requires OS9 startup for installation ? Any OSX improvement that will let us install "all" software under OSX ?

Well, they'll still be able to boot with "classic" mode, and I've been able to install things through classic, so I don't think Apple sees this as a problem

Anyway, it's not forbidden to wipe off OSX to get OS9 from the CD back in place ;).

Hey, it's not SO stupid... OS9 will be VERY FAST on new 2003-Macs !
:D :) ;) :p

Originally posted by toast
Anyway, it's not forbidden to wipe off OSX to get OS9 from the CD back in place ;).

Hey, it's not SO stupid... OS9 will be VERY FAST on new 2003-Macs !
:D :) ;) :p
It may not be forbidden to wipe OS X, but it will be futile. Apple will not update MacOS 9 for the new hardware. So, it will still not boot the new machines.

MacOS 9 will be very fast, but will be so as Classic.

Originally posted by MisterMe

Apple will not update MacOS 9 for the new hardware. So, it will still not boot the new machines.

I'm sure some kind of Mac freaks will still update software and hardware for Mac OS 9, just as some other freaks still program Amiga's and Atari's !
:D

PS: no will to harm anyone with the word 'freak' :)

I'm just thinking about the games my children like to play, like Starcraft... cannot be installed under OS X, even with Classic.

I have updated my applications, but I am not sure I want to buy all the games again.

If the games play fine on that B&W G3, give them that machine and use the 2003 PowerMac for yourself. Btw. You haven't bought that future Macintosh yet, have you? Plus: New games will, of course, run without any instance of NostalgOS, erhm, Mac OS 9.

Also, is that 8000$ plotter a single user machine or can an old G3 share it to other users, Mac OS X users, too, perhaps? Maybe you too could keep _some_ machine for that purpose when you buy the new PowerMacs?

Originally posted by fryke
If the games play fine on that B&W G3, give them that machine and use the 2003 PowerMac for yourself. Btw. You haven't bought that future Macintosh yet, have you? Plus: New games will, of course, run without any instance of NostalgOS, erhm, Mac OS 9.

One can only imagine the great games on the new Macs and what wonders they will hold.

Originally posted by fryke

Also, is that 8000$ plotter a single user machine or can an old G3 share it to other users, Mac OS X users, too, perhaps? Maybe you too could keep _some_ machine for that purpose when you buy the new PowerMacs?

You could also get Timbuktu and control the old Mac with the new Mac. We have to do this with PC Anywhere for an old scanner which only has drivers for Windows9x to be used with those who have WindowsXP.

Since there is a Starcraft X version around but there is an installer problem, I think Bungie will provide us with an Xstaller.

I also wonder if Apple will provide us a Classic.app for 10.3, a 9-in-a-box sort of thing, comparable to Virtual PC or vMac... a full featured emulation program with real integration into OS X (drag-and-drop between live desktops, as an example). :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dracolich
Since there is a Starcraft X version around but there is an installer problem, I think Bungie will provide us with an Xstaller.

I also wonder if Apple will provide us a Classic.app for 10.3, a 9-in-a-box sort of thing, comparable to Virtual PC or vMac... a full featured emulation program with real integration into OS X (drag-and-drop between live desktops, as an example). :rolleyes:

They will have to if Apple goes to 64-bit CPUs. I don't envision that happening for a while though. And there will probably a hack or two out there that will allow a newer machine based on existing architecture to boot into OS 9 even though its not officially sanctioned by Apple. Now if they decide to use a new architecture like PCI-X, then again you won't be able to boot into OS 9. Same goes for RapidIO or InfiniBand which OS 9 won't have drivers for. In fact I would be surprised if nobody developed a VirtualMacOS9 and it may turn out to be more compatible than what we have now.

Dude, I'll send you a dmg.gz of Starcraft for you to drag to your system. No installer indeed. One of the best things about dragging Starcraft around is that it's updated. You don't need to launch it and sign on to Battle.net to update it.

Well, to keep your CD key perhaps YOU should make a copy of the application's folder. Like on a CD that you can burn for ~$0.50

Installer. Yeesh. M$ has affected even your mind to think that you need an installer. I will continue to believe that virtually no application ever should require an installer on a well designed OS. Applications should be hosted by the OS, and as such they should be relatively self contained.

Installers are so 20th century.

Back