NO PARKING on OSX

pds

Registered
This is a call for help, if there might be some. Sorry that the post is so long, but I wanted to spell it all out.

I was having a little trouble with a few things, specificly my System Preferences were broken, the prefpanes were opening as folders. Also Help was no help, it was just wonky. I'd click on a link to a topic and it would take me back to the main screen. I was having trouble reading CDs, I found I had to resort to the paper clip to get them out

I was able to work OK, but wanted to fix things before upgrading to 2.5.

So I took out my original Jag disk and went to reinstall using the option to move the old system and install fresh. Fortunately we have all been down this road before and know it's best to back-up first. So I burned all the stuff from the 5 different accounts (no small pain in the arse) that I had set up before the fateful click on the Install button.

The first time through I got a black screen with a message about some sort of installation failure and the notice to restart.

So I did and tried again with the same settings. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I got the same result.

I cleaned the Jag CD and tried again. By now I figured that my data was toast anyway, so I ran the Disk Utility and reformated, checking the OS 9 driver option. I don't use 9 or classic, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

The installation was completed and the computer restarted. Then the ugliest screen I have witnessed to date, save the sad Mac of the previous era, appeared on the screen

NO PARKING

I get the grey screen with the Apple Logo, but after a few seconds (before the rat-wheel appears) the computer stops and I have this big GhostBusters sign - minus the ghost. I call it NO PARKING

I reformatted again, this time without the os9 drivers, same result.

I have tried resetting my PRAM, but for some reason it refuses to reset, I can't get that second chime to ring. I have run permission scans from the Installer CD, so far, no soap.

I have been around the block looking for other suggestions, but can't even find reference to the NO PARKING sign.

I have installed and am using 9.2. Things seem to be fine, I can see all the Jaguar stuff in the 3 million folders that it uses, but it just won't boot into X.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

We are talking about a clamshell 300 with 288 megs of ram and a recently installed 30 gig hd. As I say it was working well. The System Preferences went south only recently, after the problems I had getting music off of older CDRs. No Idea when Help became no help because it is so lousy that I rarely turn to it for help. ;)

In knowledge base, bless is the old open and shut process to make a system folder in pre X active. I can boot in 9, the problem is that X is not smokin"! ;)

Is there somewhere else to research bless? is it a terminal command or something?

Is there a program that lets me zap PRAM from os9?

Well, I know that about blessing a folder. I thought that was a reference to the terminal bless command. You might be able to do that with OS X - the system folder is /System/Library/CoreServices.

The CoreServices folder is more or less OS X's System Folder. You could try opening and closing that one. It could possibly work.

'Specially if you didn't delete any of the files that the above kbase articles detailed.

No, I've been a good boy concerning the OS X folder while in os9 :angel:

I am going to try the blessing and then try to copy the mach_kernel thing.

I am worried that I can't get the PRAM to reset. Is there a software program to reset it. I seem to remember that Norton had a reset PRAM switch in it, though I could be delusional.

Maybe I'll run over to versiontracker to check out for a zapper before I put on my priestly get up for blessing and praying ;)

Eureka!! Like Free Parking in Monopoly

I did the drag thing of the mach_kernel and low and behold! no more No Parking Sign!

It still didn't start up though, because in fact there was no mach_kernel on the hard drive to replace. It seems there are a few other files missing too. So even though it went through the whole install process, I guess there is something wrong with my Jaguar Disk.

Bummer, but at least the hardware is ok. I'll get a new Jag disk from the dealer tomorrow. Hope his repair dept has a copy of tech tools to try to zap the PRAM. Even though it may not be the problem, I'd like it to work.

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by michaelsanford
You don't need any software utility to zap the PRAM; just hold OPTION-APPLE-P-R on boot...

Understood, but what is it that makes this process not work. I have tried to zap too many times, but it won't work. I suspect that it is a dead clock battery since this is an older clamshell.

I downloaded techtools and it did zap the PRAM. The pro version (reportedly) gives you a very more thorough zapping than even the freeware version.

Back