No web camera on this computer

GUNDAM-RX78

Registered
Hi guys

As those of you who might have followed my posts I am rapidly adding things to my mac world!

Today I bought a logitech webcam qcam pro400 it all looked good and the freindly Japanese woman said it wil work with Mac 0sx 10 that coupled with the sticker on the boxer of the blue X I was happy.

Got home installed it with the install disc as I discoverd it wasnt plug and play as I thought but hey no worries.......I rememberd that MSN does not have a webcam option so I downloaded yahoo which does.

I then go to invite someone to view my cam and it gives me the message "No camera is connected to this computer".

Unabashed I tried to figure out how to use ichat, on the menu bar for ichat I went to "Audio" and the camera enabled is ticked but greyed out, I then tried ichat preferences and went to video and sure enough it says in the big white square "No camera is attached to this computer".

The ichat describes my cam as a "unknown usb audio device".

This is getting to me and I would love to get some help, also I have found an intresting dilemma I keep on getting asked for a password that I dont know and neither does my wife, is this stopping me?

I am in Japan and sometimes english instructions are thin on the ground except what the inbuilt help gives me.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Hello Gundam,

I went through the same experience with my logitech Quickcam ZOOM in order to use it with iChat I bought this : http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/.::ha::
it works fine as long as you don't fiddle with the soft that comes along with Logitech webcam ! and make sure it is compatible with your pro400.

As per the messages the only way I got rid of them was to plug the webcam to a usb hub i.o. plugin' the camera straight to my iMac usb port ?! Sounds akward but it does work for me.

Sayonara :cool:

BTW I missed the point about the password; in order to use ichat you should open a user name on aim (AOL IM website) and then use the user name and password set to log in to iChat

Regards

thanks for the tip gig, I got it to work in ichat but it was so poor quality.

I got the camera to work in yahoo for a bit but now all it does is make yahoo messenger crash/ quit all the time.......im at my wits end for hours now, is their any other software or program that allows me to talk to my dear old mum and view her at the same time?

Gundam,

searching the forums you will find out that the best, so far, Mac to Windoze webchat couple rest in AIM / iChat which means to have your mum on AIM.
MSN doesn't seem to be in hurry to fill in the huge gap between Wintel and Apple versions let alone adding webchat capabilities.

Poor Image quality : 1) iChat is supporting the iSight primarly 2) I've got 2 friends using iSight and always complain my USB Quickam has a poor image. 3) who uses FW Webcam in the Windoze World anyway ? 4) Why does iSight cost at least the double of a usb webcam ? 5) Will iCHat AV coming along with Tiger be an improvement ?

That beeing said and "worst case scenario" why don't you use skype? I prefer to have a good talk for free rather than a poor image spoil my conversation ::evil::

Hi Gig

I do use skype but I heard something that worried me....My mate just bought a new G5 and he said his IT teacher freind said that skype is full of bugs and viruses and its better to not use it...is this true?

On the cam thing if I buy an isight will the quality be better and faster on both sides?

bugs i don't know (meaning it might crash a couple of times or have minor issues), but viruses ain't likely at all since there is no common known viruses for mac. and if skype in any way helps spreading windows-viruses they can't do anything to your machine. but in this situation beware that you might be spreading win-viruses to friends and family who might happen to be on a windows-machine..

but it seems to me to be highly unlikely, i'm no expert, but i have never heard about anything like this when it comes to skype..

alex.

Gundam

As far as skype is concerned I'll go along with the answer from Alex, Hi Alex and welcome to the thread. I believe that if you set up Slype preferences properly "Privacy" i.e accepting call/IM or files from your contact list you should be on the safe side.

As far as iSight is concerned it will work fine for you and other apple users using it too, but cannot tell you how it shows on windoze. BTW apple just released an upgrade to iSight software http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/isightfwupdater.html

Back