Office in Use

snuflupukis

Registered
I think this is dumb, if you buy Office v.X and install it on your computer at home and on another computer at home and they are on a network. When you launch, lets say MSW (Microsoft Word) on one computer and try and launch it on the other computer on your network it says you can not lauch it because the program is running on another machine. Microsoft calls this "Network Product ID," a new feature in the office program. This is very frustrating. I dont think you should have to buy another office CD key to install it on your other computer just to get them to run at the same time. Is there anyway of fixing this issue over the network that we have established, "without disconecting one computer or the other. thanks for the feedback

yeah, Office will check on the LAN for other instances running with the same serial number. try something like this:

Code:
sudo ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222
sudo ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464

it will block the ports that office uses, so that it cannot communicate on the LAN. i believe those are the correct port numbers... ?

Are those the correct port numbers and correct function to type in, in the terminal? Where did you find this out, i have been looking for the past couple of days. And will my network still function like normal? Thanks for the reply

i found those port numbers on this message board. it was easy for me to find because i ve seen this discussed before and knew what keywords to search by. i was gonna just post the URL to the thread, but it was really long, with a lot of flase speculation about MS spyware, so i didn t.

so blocking one port doesn t really affect your use of the internet, or network services; each network service uses a different port. http (web browsing) is port 80, so as long as port 80 is open, that will work fine. blocking some port that is only used by Office is perfectly safe; office will think the network is not plugged in, but the rest of the computer will function normally with the network.

that said, i should warn you that certain ports are used by the system software (or so i ve heard), and blocking them can prevent the OS from functioning correctly. see testuser s post on this thread.

use
Code:
% lsof -i
to see which network ports are in use. you can also do a port scan on localhost using Network Utility.app, to check which port Office is using. i am unsure whether the port that Office uses remains constant. the thread that i read was ambiguous about this, and i don t use Office myself.

Back