Old problem on new drive (lost System 9)

Laurel S.

Registered
I recently upgraded my G4 Titanium to accomodate Tiger. The installers did not do an archive/install so I can't reinstall older versions of Illustrator, etc.
I was able to buy an original 9.2.2/OSX disc made for my computer, and I was able to boot using your Option-Apple-P-R combination.
What do you think is the most practical?
1. Is it necessary to partition my HD? In which case
a. I need step-by-step instructions, having never done anything like that before
b. Do I install my old OSX with the 9.2.2 and then upgrade back up to Tiger
c. Should I defragment my new drive before partitioning? I've just been using it to surf the internet and create word docs.
2. It was suggested I try using my old 10G drive (which I still have) with a backup case, but the one I bought did not work because of some laptop power current issues. Should I try another? This is kind of a cute idea, since it isolates 9.2.2 from my new system, but I already have an external firewire USB 2.0 for backups and don't really want to buy another piece of hardware.
3. Can I format my external firewire USB 2.0?

Any suggestions? Am I making this too complicated? Should I just install 9.2.2?
Thanks,
Laurel S.
P.S. I haven't really used my computer for work for about 5 years.... So, we're talking about a low technical skill level.

1. No need to partition, Laurel. OS9 and OSX live together well on one
volume. I think all you lose is the option-boot ability to pick between
OS9 and OSX. Since the HD has a fresh Tiger install, the OS9 hard disk
drivers were installed (default in Tiger, not in Panther). You should be
able to boot the OS9.2.2 install CD, and just install.

2. Again, no need to isolate 9 from X. I gather you got a drive that
drew power from the USB connection instead of a wall socket. Yup,
a PB or MB probably doesn't have the power to spare. If you can't
think of a use for your 10gb, sell it to someone with only a 4gb.

3. There's no such animal as "formatting USB2 or FireWire." Those are
connection types. You can buy an enclosure with all three (USB1, USB2,
and FW) connections.

Thanks so much for your reply. You have no idea how grateful I am. Now I can go on with my LIFE!
I just need to know:
Whether I do Archive/Install or clean install from my 9.2.2/OSX disc, I'm installing an old version of OSX, right? So I'll have to reinstall Tiger.
(In the Custom Install I don't see an option to install only Classic/9.2.2)
(re. question 3. I was told that I could "work off of" my external, which is what I meant)
Thanks
Laurel

Back