Opening a Powermac Quicksilver CD Tray

anerki

Registered
Is there any way to open the CD tray if the Eject button on the keyboard is not working? It's a Quicksilver G4 so there is no button and no place to put a metal in to force the tray open. The Apple keyboard doesn't seem to work in classic. And NO, opening the Tray in Mac OS X is NOT a solution. I'm not gonna reboot the machine every time if I have to insert a CD when one is not already inserted.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frederik-Jan

I know nothing about the Quicksilver, but does it have a small hole near the drive, in which you can insert a paperclip to manually eject the drive?

Under OSX you can ask the open-firmware to do the eject:

Reboot the mac, and WHILE it is rebooting, press the

Code:
<CMD><ALT><O><F>

this will start the open-firmware, at the prompt type

Code:
Eject CD <retunr>

The CD should pop open.

Continue with boot by typing

Code:
mac-boot<return>

Does this help?

and he said

And NO, opening the Tray in Mac OS X is NOT a solution. I'm not gonna reboot the machine every time if I have to insert a CD when one is not already inserted.

Try this, add the eject button to the menu bar.

Edit the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file located in your library/preferences directory.

After the <key>menuExtras</key> tag add

<string>/system/library/CoreServices/MenuExtras/Eject.menu</string>

logout-login, look at the top right ofthe screen a smallejectbutton should appear.

Is this helpful?

I'll give that Eject application a shot. Thanks for the numerous replies. But for most of them: I'm trying to open it in classic so booting OS X is not a solution as Bobw pointed out ;) Something about a stone and two times ;)

There is no place to put a paperclip in either :( (this was in my initial post too tho I couldn't remember the word for a paperclip (that's what you get when English is your third language :p))

Open the following folders:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/

in order to find and double click the:
Eject.menu

Back