Opinions of the G5's case design

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Overall I like the new design of the case. Its very professional and even tough looking.

My skepticism is the new door... judging by the quicktime VR gallery, the door looks like it removes just like a PC's. No more latch and swing down door [of course the motherboard isn't mounted to door anymore either]. This just seems kind of cheap to me. Also, the air ducting piece is separate...why didn't they just make it part of the door so there aren't two things to remove?

I know these are mute points, but I really like the design & simplicity of the door on the G4 cases.

I guess it doesn't really matter since this is the most kick ass desktop ever :D

Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
Overall I like the new design of the case. Its very professional and even tough looking.

My skepticism is the new door... judging by the quicktime VR gallery, the door looks like it removes just like a PC's. No more latch and swing down door [of course the motherboard isn't mounted to door anymore either]. This just seems kind of cheap to me. Also, the air ducting piece is separate...why didn't they just make it part of the door so there aren't two things to remove?

I know these are mute points, but I really like the design & simplicity of the door on the G4 cases.

I guess it doesn't really matter since this is the most kick ass desktop ever :D

I think that after all the new G5 design is a looker! Especially, next to my TiBook or later on AluBook!

Kick Ass, yeah baby, yeah! :p

Boom! :D ;) :)

So we still have the latch, thats good :)

One thing I noticed... with the last design of the G4 they gave us the ability to add a second 5.25" drive [like a fast cdrom drive or cdr] but thats gone on the G5 again.

Yeah, I'm kind of upset about that. I suppose since the OS itself doesn't support disk-to-disk burning, multiple optical drives aren't necessary. There's always FireWire, I guess. :rolleyes:

I am not impressed with the case design really (I think it's kinda ugly really)... but for functionality it's awesome!

The only way to get that much air into a system is exactly the way they made it - holes like heck with multiple fans.

The Dual 2Ghz version is everything I want in my next PRO system! Just wish I could afford it right now! :)

What the hell is that thing?? It's good job it comes with iTunes, because it's definately a 1950 radio - without the dial.

But so what - that won't stop me buying it in September.

I originally thought it was the ugliest thing ever and I would keep mine on the floor and maybe even kick it every once in a while, but the pictures in Apple's gallery make it look way way way sleek.

I think it depends on the angle the light hits it at. When the front grill is lit so that it's the same shade as the sides, it looks pretty nasty, but when it's darker (because of the holes) the contrast is real real nice.

And of course it'll look different in person.

I like the new design, although it is square, it is nice. I like the performance specs the best!!!!!

It is less organic than the G4 case, more industrial. Very clean. A balanced composition of straight lines and rounded edges. The grille gives a very good counterpoint to the side: more shadow less reflection, you can penetrate the rigid external hull and look inside, it gives depth to the case, makes it actually look more solid. It does not look heavy, despite the sqareness. It is substantial yet light, because of the thin material and the aerial grille. I imagine it huming softly, maybe even vibrating ever so slightly. I would never ever use the front in/out-puts, but I am glad the panel is there to break the otherwise boring pattern and field. Yes, it does have something vaguely retro, yet futuristic, like some sixties evergreens, blenders and fridges, but this makes it timeless, like wear would simply bounce off it, flowing harmlessly around. It is sleek and elegant. It doesn't jump at you, it is modestly gorgeous in itself.

I like it. :)

Very Industrial, Very Institutional. I swear I've seen this thing on board the Death Star as a control module for an Imperial Star Destroyer.

In other words, I love it.

Back