"Optimizing" ... ??

maccatalan

Registered
Does anyone know what does the "Optimizing System Performance" process after an install on OS X ?

Because it can be long, very long .. longuer than the install itself.

thank you,
Pierre

This is the system pre-binding process, which prebinds libraries for better application performance. It can be achieved manually by entering "sudo update_prebinding" in the terminal. I'm not entirely sure on the specifics, but I think it is useful to run it each time you install new software that affects system libraries.

For more specific and detailed information, enter "man update_prebinding" in the terminal.

I like to think of it like defragmenting. One thing is for sure, it make the system run faster...i'm not gonna complain then...

Well, to make a long story short:
Each programme when started loads some resources that it shares with other apps. Libraries provides those data. Prebinding tells a specific app which libraries etc. to look for *before* it starts. So that, at start up, the app doesn't have to go thru it and and search for what is right for it...

Well, I think that's basically what happens.

Defragmentation can be done with Norton Utilities or Drive 10 in MacOSX. That is, if the partition is HFS+ formatted. On UFS formatted disks no defragmentation is neccessary, as far as I know (it handles data differently).
Be aware though, that you need a HFS+ partition to run Classic (MacOS 9) from.

Back