Oracle 9i for OSX woo hoo

callieX

Registered
I just read on macminute.com that Oracle is coming out with a version it 9i database for OSX. I know Oracle is expensive, but for me it will be great. It will be nice to continue to hone my DBA skills at home on my Mac. It the performance is not to bad it will make Mac's for viable to business types.

calliex

I am a new user to MacOS X (bought my first mac 6 months ago), and used to working in an all windows environment. I am currently a web programmer and jr. dba (?), but trying to migrate (as well as enhance) my skillset to OS X/UNIX.

My question is regarding installing Oracle on Mac...Can you install the management Server and Enterprise Manager onto the Mac without installing everything else? I am very interested in Admining the Oracle instances I am able to work on (HP-UX, Linux & Windows) from my laptop, but really do not want to get into installing the whole db on my laptop?

Just wondering if you would know?

Thanks!

OSX (jaguar) Oracle 9i for developer was just released by Oracle. It is a free download at present from Oracle. I have yet to go there to find out any particulars.

Calliex

Yeah, go to Oracle.com and do a search for 'jaguar' or so.

It is a free (but long) download, and I think it is 'only' the database daemon and libs as well as connection stuff (OCI...).

I have waited for this for sooooo long...

Dani++

I had almost given up hope - just in time as well. I am working on a DB driven email app that OSX is perfect for. Oracle will be great as the database.

R.

I am still on 10.1.5, and a little hesitant to jump to 10.2, anyone of you on it, and how is it going?

I have everything setup just right now, and I would hate to screw things up at this point, but I would really like to be able to Admin 9i from my Mac vs. Windows.

Back