OS 10.2.x on G3 Beige: No sound. Is this a known issue?

obeghain

Registered
Hi all,

I've installed Mac OS 10.2.x on my old G3 Beige (233Mhz, 40Gb). Everything works fine except that I'm having no sound! Looking at the system preferences panel, I see that the OS identified a built-in audio controller (which is correct) but no sound!

Is this a known issue? If yes, what should I do to activate the sound?

Regards,
-Olivier.

Do you get any sound at all, including the boot tone when first starting your system? If not, then try resetting the P-Ram by holding opt-cmd-P-R when starting up. You should hear the startup tone, keeping keys down until you hear the start tone a second time. Some people will hold keys down through 3-5 resets (that's what you're doing) that may get your normal sound back!

Did you check all the tabs in the Sound Panel? It could be one of them is set to mute.

Olivier - - I am successfully running Jaguar 10.2.3 on a Beige G3 MT-300 MHz with no issues on the sound. My G3 MT is stock at this point with the exception of a Radeon 7000 PCI video card. The sound on this MT has worked perfectly in both 10.2 and the upgraded 10.2.3.

I am reading into this that the sound functioned normally in the previous system software on your G3 266. Did you make any other changes in addition to the OS X system software version upgrade ? I have not seen reports of issues with sound on Beige G3's running Jaguar.

Good luck on identifying the root cause of the no sound problem on your machine.

Back