OS Opinions... And some kinda "Rant" ...

OK, So after playing with OS X ... and be VERY Familar with Windows XP ... i jut wanted 2 get Everyone else's ideas, on what functions they see missing from one another's OS ... etc.

< i will try my best, to Ditch my "Neyo-ish" Language! >

OK... so for me ... not be too familar with OS X, Networking Seemed Kinda "Crap". Well, maybe it was because it was going from a Windows PC to a Mac ... but that Side of the Networking Seemed "crap" ... the way you had to connect to a server, with a stupid String, and even then it seemed quite basic! ... i am sure this is dude 2 my inexperience with the OS as a whole (but hey, i'm just dropping down Some ideas!)

...hmmm... Also, theming in OS X ...
i know the GUI is totally Gorge... and the envy of Most Windows Users ... but as for trying to adjust it, to match a Different, not Aqua Taste, it didn't seem quite "there!" ... it seemed very limited as to what you could do with the OS!
< Maybe this is because Apple know, only a handful of Peeps, would Want to Change the UI >

One thing i constantly rave of, is "Hibernate", Something i Really admire in Windows XP, something i wish was in OS X!
Besides that, the "open With" Command would be Definately Welcomed by ANY Windows user... Wanting to Move to OS X (Looks Forward 2 10.2 :D)
...And Another thing, Spring Folders, For a long time, u peeps were raving this, from OS 9.x, and i finally found out wat it was, and Damn, its another luxury, which is "nice 2 have" ... and i have a 3rd party Program, to do it XP! :D ... it Seems So Convient! :)

...Totally LOVE the iDisk ... Its something i took with me, after Selling my iBook, and Solely Using XP ... i love Apple for allowing me to Connect 2 it via My PC... its SOOO Convient, totally beats some FTP Client 'n' all ... i mean, i can simply Drag 'n' Drop...! :D

drap.jpg

Another thing, i'd like 2 see, on a Mac... MORE Menu Options, on a CTRL Click! ... i mean, there seems a lot more on a PC... u can do a lot 2 a file, on a right click on XP! ...
popup.jpg

...OK! i will Shuddup For the moment... i had more to mention, but i will come back! ...

What are your views, on things u wish OS X had, or has but is "Crap" ... From alternative OS's?!...

NeYo

Neyo...

Some points to your points...

Control Click (or "Contextual Menus" as they are called) - the reason why this is somewhat limited in the OS/Finder, is because Apple bases their systems on one button mice. Apple views the extra button as confusing for most people (and they claim to have the studies to back it up). Personally, I disagree with it, but that's their reasoning. We will get "Open With" in 10.2, along with Spring Loaded Folders.

Themeing... Again, Apple doesn't want you to switch from Aqua. They want the UI to remain consistent. I can see where they are coming from, but I occassionally like to switch. Using Duality, there are currently over 30 really good themes available right now, and more appear each week. Again, not as many as XP, but considering that themeing is not built in OS X or sanctioned by Apple, were off to a great start. I'm confident that within another 6 months we will have over 100, and by the end of the year over 250.

Networking... In 10.1, it's still kinda "geeky", meaning that you need to know the IP address for most connections other than AFP. This definitely needs to be remedied. However, compared with Windows networking, it's about the same. Connecting to a Windows network is pretty simple under Windows, but connecting to anything else is just as un-intuitive as under OS X.

I'm not familiar with "Hibernate", because I'm still on Win2000, but "Sleep" is much more usable under OS X than Windows. I like XP's ability to have a user logout, another login, and the applications the 1st user was using still be running in the background. It sounds like it might be a security nightmare, but in theory it sounds nice. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on how efficient/secure it is.

Overall, it comes down to a matter of preference. For me, the WinXP License is a deal breaker. I will not upgrade (willingly) to an OS that puts limits on what I can do with my hardware (4 component changes before I have to call MS to get permission to continue to use my computer? - pleeeaase). Eventually I'll buy a new PC and get XP with it, but MS isn't getting my money directly through the XP upgrade.

If Windows XP does anything right, they'll look to Unix for the "one user logs out but still has processes running" bit. This has been implemented in Unix for I don't know how long...

Of course, this is MS we're talking about -- I doubt they'd look to Unix, and would instead like to re-invent the wheel the MS way...

erhm... strange thread, though. :)

no, the several users logged into their desktop with applications open is maybe an old idea, but it doesn't work that way on UNIX (at least not on the X Window System side).

having so many options in contextual menus is one of the most hindering 'features' of Windows (95 up to XP). i think having a small but useful choice is important, and Apple goes the right way with 10.2.

Mac OS X will be perfect by Summer.

Windows XP does have a function like Unix that allows a user to log in start a process and 'switch' to another user to work from that profile. WinXP calls it 'fast user switching' or something like that. Neyo should be able to vouch for this. Just goto log off and there should be two options: 'switch' and 'log off'.

Once you switch, you get kicked to the welcome screen *cough* OS Xish *cough* and you now will see that the user you were logged in as says n amount of programs running, forwhich now you can either log back into that profile or choose another profile to log into.

Just remember to log out the both profiles before shutting down the machine, though I think XP will notify you that you still have an active profile logged in.

To utilize Fast Switching you first have to have multiple users created and second you need to make sure that the option is on (it's on be default, but programs like PC Anywhere will have to turn it off). The option is in the User Accounts app if I recall.

Neyo: Everytime I see your posts and see screenshots of your desktop, you make me want to hack my XP box to death and make it look just like my OSX box right next to it. I just need to find the time. You should make a website dedicated to hacking up XP to look like X. Keep up the effort and keep us up to date with your progress:p

but it doesn't work that way on UNIX (at least not on the X Window System side)
I disagree. It's been a while, so I don't remember the commands, but it can be done. No, it's not as easy as just logging out, but it is possible.

Originally posted by bubbajim
Windows XP does have a function like Unix that allows a user to log in start a process and 'switch' to another user to work from that profile. WinXP calls it 'fast user switching' or something like that. Neyo should be able to vouch for this. Just goto log off and there should be two options: 'switch' and 'log off'.

Once you switch, you get kicked to the welcome screen *cough* OS Xish *cough* and you now will see that the user you were logged in as says n amount of programs running, forwhich now you can either log back into that profile or choose another profile to log into.

Just remember to log out the both profiles before shutting down the machine, though I think XP will notify you that you still have an active profile logged in.

To utilize Fast Switching you first have to have multiple users created and second you need to make sure that the option is on (it's on be default, but programs like PC Anywhere will have to turn it off). The option is in the User Accounts app if I recall.

Neyo: Everytime I see your posts and see screenshots of your desktop, you make me want to hack my XP box to death and make it look just like my OSX box right next to it. I just need to find the time. You should make a website dedicated to hacking up XP to look like X. Keep up the effort and keep us up to date with your progress:p

LOL! Thank Dude! ... i am doing MORE And More :D ... Oh, and i already have Very Good Replica's of Mail.app ... and Finder Windows! ... hehe! i mean, look @ this ...
< i will grab a Pic Later! ... I'm off 2 Watch The Footie! >

Oh, and U're Very right! ... Here's a Shot of my Welcome Screen (hehe) with Multiple Users Logged In! ... It is a VERY Neat Extra! :D

login.jpg

back later! ;)

NeYo

oh 'n' Bubba! ... EVERYTHING u quoted on Fast User Switching was Correct! ;) ... It Does notify of "active Users" if a user attempts to shut down ... more often than not, i just click "ShutDown" and it logs all "other" Active users out! Really Cool!

Here's that Pic of, the Application which Replicates the "Finder Windows" Far Better than a Skinned Windows Explorer Window Can! :p

finder.jpg

NeYo

Back