OS X 10.4.11 kicking out of applications to the finder

lajay

Registered
I'm on a dual 800MHz G4 w/1GB Ram. I only use this cpu for basic internet and email. Monday I booted it up and it said a new version of Quicktime is available. I don't remember what version it said, but I told the prompt to go ahead and automatically update it. I did the update and restarted the cpu. Once it was restarted, I opened up iChat, Mail, Safari etc. I was in my mail program writing an email and all of a sudden it kicked me out to the finder level. Kinda like I took the mouse and clicked off the mail screen onto the desktop. So, I clicked back onto mail and proceeded. Next I was on the internet in safari and it did the same thing to me. It's so annoying b/c it does it when I'm in the middle of writing, it doesn't care, it just acts as if I'm clicking on the desktop....by the way it'll do it even when I'm not running any other applications. I'll be sitting there looking at the desktop, (no applications running) and all of a sudden all the icons and such disappear from my desktop for a quick second and then come back and acts as if everything's ok.
I've tried to fix it by the following:
Booted in safe mode - no change
Ran diskwarrior 3 times - no change
Restarted w/apple/option/o/f held down. reset-nvram set-defaults reset-all
Repaired permissions - no change
Anyhow, while even writing this to the forum, it happened at least six times.

Oh what to do?!?? Anyone w/help would greatly be appreciated. And by the way it has Quicktime 7.6 installed. There are no software updates available either. This is the weirdest thing! So annoying!
Thanks!
Jason

so it only happened after doing the update? frankly i am not sure what causes this but you can try to A&I to isolate the issue. Update everything but not QT

so is it the QT problem? my OS occurs exactly the same with yours! i also did the QT updated....
what is the solution... ?
it even turn off my finder windows when i was checking my files.....

I think it's related to the Quicktime update..that's the only thing different. It really sucks! I can't figure this out! No one has given me any ideas...you're the only person to even reply! :confused:

Everything is updated on my cpu. Nothing needs to be updated. This is really a bummer. See it even happened while I was writing this! Geez! :(

Basically, it means the Finder is unexpectedly quitting. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and look at the crash logs for the Finder. Maybe something strange shows up. Any APE/haxies installed? Remove those _completely_ and test whether the problem still occurs.

I've researched APE's and Haxies. They are from a company called Unsanity. Here's their website: http://www.unsanity.com/products/
Problem is that I don't have any of their products on my cpu.
Do other companies use them? Would this just start crashing my finder out of the blue?
How do I remove the APE's or Haxies?
Thx,
LAJay

the worst thing is unintalled the QT is useless!

yes, What are APE/haxies? i have been to /Applications/Utilities/Console.app but can't find out.

thx LAJay,
Rrrr........ i use Adium X ! but i can't find any APE/haxies in my os ...so how do i delete them,....

I have no Unsanity products on my cpu. I've looked how to remove APE's or Haxies. I've gone to System Preferences, and looked for Application Enhancers. NONE found. I really don't think this is due to APE's.

So, I checked the console and it says the following:
This is what the console says:
Feb 4 12:35:34 Jasons-CPU crashdump[363]: Finder crashed
Feb 4 12:35:35 Jasons-CPU crashdump[363]: crash report written to: /Users/sonypictures/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Feb 4 12:37:04 Jasons-CPU crashdump[365]: Finder crashed
Feb 4 12:37:05 Jasons-CPU crashdump[365]: crash report written to: /Users/sonypictures/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Feb 4 12:38:34 Jasons-CPU crashdump[369]: Finder crashed
Feb 4 12:38:35 Jasons-CPU crashdump[369]: crash report written to: /Users/sonypictures/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log

and it goes on and on just like this forever all day long. Look at the times, they are the same times every minute. really weird!

I do NOT have any APE's or Haxies. Can someone plz help me out!?!?
Thx!

Back