OS X - Software (some questions)

fases

Registered
hi there people,

i've finally bought an ibook and, for the first time, i've tried mac os x. as i expected, it's beautiful.

now, there's just one thing at which i'm still kind of lost: software. most of the software i've found is paid software and i can't afford it... i was wondering if there is good free software out there for os x.

mainly, currently i need a code editor, a c compiler (guess gcc is a good choice, but how do i install it - do i need to compile it by hand?) and some web development tools. also, where is make? it doesn't seem to be installed on my os x...

i'm sure i needed more stuff, but i can't really remember it right now. i appreciate any other sugestions on random software you use. :eek:

thanks in advance and regards

In terms of code, every Mac and every copy of Mac OS X comes with what's called "Developer Tools." You may have gotten a separate CD to install those, or the installer for those tools may be in /Applications/Installers/Developer Tools. I believe you can use Apple's "XCode" program.

Another good place to search for free/cheap software is http://www.macupdate.com

If make and gcc aren't installed, you need to install your Developer Tools. Free with OS X. Include Xcode, Interface Builder, and everything else you need.

For web stuff, I use BBEdit, but that's not free. I've never used graphical tools, but if you're looking for a free text editor with syntax highlighting... you might look at SubEthaEdit.

Back