OS X --> Windows LAN

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
I have my Titanium (os 10.1.4) and PC (win 98 SE) sharing the same cable Internet connection via a Linksys router. Question, how do I enable browsing the other computers desktop / harddrive?
I have file and print sharing activated on the PC, as well as web and file sharing on OS X.

Thanks for taking me one step closer to a home network.

I'm no OS X expert, but I have been using Sharity to browse/read/write to windows shares on a local network.

www.obdev.at/Products/Sharity.html

They have a free download for OX X. Be sure to thoroughly read the "readme" file to install and configure this correctly.

You can also use the built-in SMB sharing, although with this you can only see the PC from the Mac, not the other way round. To see the Mac from the PC, you'll need Samba.

THIS THREAD should be some help, and I'm sure there are others like it knocking about. Try searching for SMB or Samba....

I tried using the build in smb sharing, but I don't think I'm getting the path right. I tried smb://(PC IP Address), and the same with cifs://.

BTW, I set up the PC to act as a Network server, instead of a desktop. Will that make a difference?

Also, I have Sharity set up and running, but it's not finding the PC.

Originally posted by ghyde
I tried using the build in smb sharing, but I don't think I'm getting the path right. I tried smb://(PC IP Address), and the same with cifs://.
The syntax is:
smb://<workgroup>;<computername>/<sharename>

IP-addresses are not relevant here.

I' m using the computer name assigned by AT&T and gave the PC a workgroup name. Question: How do I find the sharename?
(and are the marks between each part in the above example exact as is?)

Originally posted by ghyde
I' m using the computer name assigned by AT&T and gave the PC a workgroup name. Question: How do I find the sharename?
<workgroup> means you put your workgroup in there.

So if your workgroup is mars, computername is Deimos and sharename is Tharsis, it would be:

smb://mars;Deimos/Tharsis

The sharename is the name of a folder that is shared on your PC.
You can see what folders are shared on your PC if you go into Network Neighborhood on the PC and look on what shares you can see there. If there are none, or you can't even see your computer there, you have to share some folder (Right-click on a folder, and click something like "share...")

I don't know if the words are exactly what I said on the PC side (I only used this with German OSs), but I know for sure that the smb stuff on the Mac is right. Make sure that the sharenames don't have any spaces in them, cause then you don't have a chance to connect with your Mac.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and another thing:

If you have the Admin password for the Win PC, you can also use the Admin share (or whatever it is called in English... :confused: ).
That means you can mount the whole harddrive of the PC on your Mac, even if it is not shared.

That works like this:
The same as above, but instead of the sharename, you use the letter for the harddrive followed by "$", so if you want to mount the C: drive of the above mentioned PC, you would type in the "Connect to Server..." Panel:

smb://mars;Deimos/C$

Then you will be asked for Username and Password.
Remember, it will only work with the Adminpassword of that computer.

Back