OSX 10.5.4 Vs Epson Stylus DX4200

keithw

Registered
Trying to get my DX4200 to work with my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.5.4
I downloaded the latest version of the driver & epson scan from their site & installed them.
When I try to scan from Photoshop CS2 I go to file/import, I can select "epson stylus cx4100/dx4200" from list but then get an error message which says "epson scan cannot be started."
Was on Epson's E-talk most of yesterday, they sent through some troubleshooting emails which I've followed, but still not working.

Epson's troubleshooting email 1:
"In reply to your query I would suggest fully removing and reinstalling the EPSON SCAN software using the procedure detailed below.
1. Disconnect the scanner.
2. Run the installer from the original installation CD or downloaded driver. Choose Uninstall from the drop-down menu. Reboot once completed.
3. Browse to the OSX Hard Disk. Browse to the Library\ApplicationSupport\TWAIN\TWAIN Data sources or Library\ApplicationSupport. Delete anything beginning with EPSON (files or folders).
4. Browse to Users\[Username]\Library\Preferences\EPSON. Delete anything beginning with EPSON (files or folders).
5. Browse to Library\Image Capture\Twain Data Sources. Delete any file relating to the scanner model only.
6. Browse to Library\Image Capture\Devices. Delete EPSON Scanner.
7. Browse to Applications\Utilities. Delete EPSON Scan Settings.
8. Browse to Applications. Delete EPSON Scan, EPSON Scanner Monitor Once you have completed the above you will need to restart the computer.Once it has finished rebooting, empty the trash.
Reinstall the software.
Once installed, Browse to Library\Image Capture\Twain Data Sources. Delete all files except the (scanner model) .ds file. i.e. 1670.ds, restart your Mac, empty the trash and reconnect your scanner. Your scanner should now be ready to use."

Epson's troubleshooting email 2:
"From the information you have provided, it would suggest that either a communication problem is present or the Mac is unable to display the EPSON driver in the Printer Browser.
It is recommended that all EPSON Printers are removed and re-installed.
To uninstall your printer:
1. Make sure that the EPSON printer is connected to the Mac through a direct USB connection (not through a Hub or the Keyboard) and switched on.
2. Make sure that the Mac is on and booted.
3. In the Mac Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities open the Printer Set-up Utility.
4. Remove all the references to the printer model.
5. Disconnect the printer from the computer.
6. We will now remove the EPSON Printer driver from the system and delete the drivers that you downloaded.
Go to the Mac Hard Drive/Library/Printer and move the complete EPSON folder to the trash. Warning this removes all EPSON Printers.
7. Also remove any drivers that were previously downloaded to the trash if the file name does not match that from our web site.
8. Restart the Mac.
9. Empty the trash.
10. Now we will run a repair utility that may take up to 30 minutes to complete so please plan for this. Go to Mac Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities and open the Disk Utility.
11. Select Disk First Aid at the top of the dialog box.
12. Select the Mac Hard Drive Icon in the left hand pane.
13. Select Repair Permissions at the bottom of the dialog box.
14. When this has completed restart the Mac. Power the printer on and ensure that it is directly connected to a USB port on the Mac and not via a third party device such as a USB hub.
You will now need to download the driver/s
to install and add the driver:

1. Locate the downloaded file, if in a SIT format, this requires Stuffit Expander so have Stuffit running.
2. If the file is a .DMG file, you do not require Stuffit, double-click the downloaded EPSON driver file and this will expand to reveal the dmg file and mounted drive.
3. Double-click the blue VISE icon when presented.
4. Follow the on screen prompts to install the driver, restarting the Mac when necessary.
5. Once restarted the driver needs adding to the printer list. To do this please go into the hard disk, go into the folder called Applications, double click on the folder called ‘Utilities’. You should see in this window the ‘Printer Setup Utility', double click on this icon. This will present the Printer List.
6. Delete any reference to the printer that may be on this list already as these may not be the genuine EPSON driver.
7. Click the add icon at the top and a dialogue box will appear, this will be the Printer Browser.
8. Next highlight the printer and then select add printer. Note: Do not choose a printer from the list of Epson printers. Your printer will not appear here, nor will the genuine Epson driver. You should be able to highlight the printer and choose 'Add'. If 'Add' is not available, leave the Printer Browser open and do not do anything else on the Mac, leave it open for about 10 minutes. When you come back to it, you should now find 'Add' available.
9. The printer should now be added to the printer list. Test the printer by highlighting it on the Printer List and selecting 'Utility'. The EPSON Printer Utility will appear, ensure paper is loaded and select to print a 'Nozzle Check'.
If you have an All in One, then to install the scanner component, locate the downloaded EPSON Scan driver and double-click this. The files will unstuff and a window will appear with the EPSON Scan Installer. Double-click this icon to initiate the installation.
11. Once installed, restart the Mac and the scanner should be ready to use. You can test this by going to: Applications : EPSON Scan."

Please help.
Thank you
keith

Hi Keith

Question, does the printer function work?

If you run the application- Epson scan, does it work on its own? I mean without going to Photoshop first?

Ed

Back