OSX Legal question

Paul C

Registered
I have just bought a 15" Powerbook G4 1.25ghz, the machine comes with Tiger pre-installed but no disks, if I bought a set of G4 15inch Powerbook restore disks is that legal or do I have to buy a retail box version?

The restore discs should be fine. Where you run into legal issues is if you copy the discs from someone else.

Their G4 Powerbook restore disks off eBay, they cos £29.99 rather than £89.99 for the retail box from Apple, I don't like running illegal software, it's a paranoia thing I have.

I'm guessing that you bought your PB second hand, correct? (if not, simply call Apple and explain that they left out your restore discs).

Even if not, you can call Apple and request a new set of restore discs for your Mac. There's a chance they may ship them to you at a discounted price.

Even still, buying the restore discs second hand is not a violation of the law or EULA (AFAIK)

ra3ndy said:
I'm guessing that you bought your PB second hand, correct? (if not, simply call Apple and explain that they left out your restore discs).

Even if not, you can call Apple and request a new set of restore discs for your Mac. There's a chance they may ship them to you at a discounted price.

Even still, buying the restore discs second hand is not a violation of the law or EULA (AFAIK)

Yeah the Powerbook was second hand from eBay, I'll call Apple and get some advice and also see if they can do me a discount of restore disks.

Thanks for the help :)

It wouldn't be illegal for you, but it would violate the EULA if the person who sold their copy of the restore discs didn't also own another license for OS X.

The point is, the people who sell their discs on eBay after they've installed the OS are violating the EULA if they don't have another license; not the people who buy those discs.

I'll make sure that the person selling hasn't used the disks, the ones I'm looking at are still sealed :)

Thanks again guys.

Back