Panther on Safari

abacsalmasi

Registered
I'm asuming I'm the only one having this problem since I haven't seen any posts. Since installing Panther (version 85) I've lost some functions in Safari, including, scroll wheel and keyboard support. Also, the mouse pointer is about 2 inches above compared to what it's highlinting or clicking on. It's awfully strange. I've uninstalled all my haxies and anything else I've added that could possible be the problem. Anybody have any reccomendations? Everything else works fine and at the moment im back in Camino. another thing I've noticed is I couldn't find anywhere to change my default web browser from Safari to Camino. What's up with that Apple?

I didn't do a clean install due to lack of a HD with enough space to back up all my data but I'm looking into ways now. Anybody have a 240G HD they want to sell for about $5?

You installed a beta software into your main Mac system and you are calling out for help? :confused:

Wait for official Panther release and wait for other people opinions! Until then, clean install Jaguar again... :D

Oh, did I welcome you here? ;)

I'm well aware of the risks I took. I was just wondering if there are any known problems with Safari so I can use it until I have a chance to wipe my drive. Finding space for 200G's isn't that easy you know.

Still interested to find out where default web browser prefs are though.

Nope, Hulkaros. This question is perfectly legitimate. ;-)

To answer the original questions... You can set your default browser in Safari, your default mailer in Mail.app. (See their preferences.)

I have not seen problems as you describe with mouse and keyboard support. Works just fine here. Have you installed a third party mouse driver of some sort? If so, try disabling or deinstalling it. Also try to trash Safari's preferences (but back them up, i.e. just move them out of the way).

Sounds like a Safari problem rather than a Panther problem to me, as your mouse, I guess, is working fine in other applications.

I had Mighty Mouse running but I've gotten rid of it (not necessary in Panther anyway) and I've trashed the pref's, rebuilt permissions, rebooted, reinstalled Safari. Very strange.

Thanks for the heads up with the prefs, never noticed it was embeded in tha actuall application, I remember the old "Internet" pref pane.

Everything else works great, Panther makes my machine feel new again. I've had my 500MGz for about 3-4 years now and it feels just like it did when I first got it.

I'll keep playing with it and post whatever findings I ...er....ummm...find.

Same problem here with no mouse or keyboard functions in Safari. Deleting my Safari pref's was the cure.

Back