Pc-mac mac-pc ftp procedure

GUNDAM-RX78

Registered
hello

I need your guys help in regards to ftp

my mate has a pc and he doesnt know about macs (like me but im getting better:) )

What is required for ftp with a pc could someone give me a few pointers please?

Thank's

which computer is acting as the server?
to access a pc who's running an ftp server (like serv-u ) download an ftp utility from versiontracker.com. my personal favorite is rbrowser lite , but there are lots of good ones) and you should be able to connect to his ftp.
if the mac is acting as the ftp server, just go to system preferences and open up 'sharing'. enable 'FTP sharing' and you should be good to go. i know there's a way to make new ftp users without creating new users on your machine, but i forget at the moment ^_^.

thanks for the info ....but one more question I want to ftp from him, meaning I want whats in his pc,is this possible without downloading software

now you're talking about network stuff. i'm not very good at that. you may be able to hook up with a crossover cable and turn on 'windows file sharing' under 'sharing' in system preferences. then hit 'go -> connect to server' and hopefully his computer pops up. i don't know much about it, though. sorry.

Windows 2000 doesn't come with ftp server software (I'm pretty sure...) so he will have to download ftp server software if you want to log into his computer from your computer via ftp.

However, you can also use windows file sharing to grab files from his computer from any folder he shares -- that wouldn't require any additional software if you have OS X 10.1+. Or is there some reason you want to use ftp?

If you have 10.2 it is real easy, just have him share a folder then go to the finder and choose go > connect to server and he should pop up after a while.

Originally posted by jeb1138
Windows 2000 doesn't come with ftp server software (I'm pretty sure...) so he will have to download ftp server software if you want to log into his computer from your computer via ftp.

However, you can also use windows file sharing to grab files from his computer from any folder he shares -- that wouldn't require any additional software if you have OS X 10.1+. Or is there some reason you want to use ftp?

If you have 10.2 it is real easy, just have him share a folder then go to the finder and choose go > connect to server and he should pop up after a while.

So if no software is required do I just give him my ip and thats it?

OK, I'm assuming:
- you have Jaguar
- you guys are already connected OK through a hub or something
- he knows how to do windows file sharing

If so then all you have to do is:
1. Have him share a folder on his computer (if he doesn't know how to do this I can give you some instructions)
2. Click on the Finder on your computer, then choose "Connect to Server..." from the Go menu in the menubar
3. After a while his computer should show up in one of the network groups. Double-click the icon for his computer
4. Choose the correct shared folder in the list that pops up.
5. Debug because nothing works right the first time ;).

Back