PCI Doesn't work? PCIX?

pixmaniowa

Registered
OK... New problem....
I just bought a new PCI USB 2.0/Firewire for my G5. It won't fit the slots in the machine. There is a ?divider? very close to the outside edge of the slot that will not allow the card to insert. I bet this means that the slot is PCIX? Is this correct? Either way, what do I need to look for to get an expansion card that will expand my USB/Firewire in these slots. I have not been able to find anything to work.
Thank you,

When did you get this PowerMac G5? Recently? If so, you may have one of the new ones with PCI-Express.... There's actually three kinds of slots.... PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-Express (Oi vey. The fact that there's an X in the word "express" only helps cause more confusion.)

PCI-X slots are backwards compatible, and can take both PCI and PCI-X (faster) cards.

The new PCI-Express standard (aka PCI-e), on the other hand, is completely different, and not backwards compatible at all with either PCI or PCI-X.

Since the use of PCI-Express slots in computers is fairly new, you may not find a PCI-Express card that fits your needs. You may just be better off buying powered USB and FireWire hubs.

Hi there! After researching the prices on PCI X I cam to the same conclusion you did. I just bought a 7 hub USB 2.0 hub and a 4 hub firewire hub. Combined cost !35 I will now look into the information you have just given me. I will look for pci express cards. Thank you sir...?:rolleyes: <

Before you go blindly purchasing stuff, open up the System Profiler and take note of the expansion slots that you have as well as other helpful information. In there you should find all the information you need before making a purchase.

Thank you nixgeek, but all I seem to get is what is installed already, no information on what is empty except for empty RAM slots, which does not help with this particular problem. I bought the PCI not knowing there had been a change. how do I get the information on the empty slots?

Back