Per-video display attributes with QuickTime?

Hippo Man

Hippo Man
Is there any way in Leopard to associate QuickTime display attributes with given videos?

For example, I might want one video to always show in Full Screen mode, and another video to be shown in Double Size, and yet another to be shown in Actual Size, and I'm looking for a way to store these values so that QuickTime always opens each of the videos with these given, per-video attributes.

Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance.
.​

What kind of files are you dealing with?

With mov files, most options are savable. Just set the options in QuickTime Player and Save the file. If you try with another file type, say an avi, you will be able to save a mov file that references the avi file's data. This will retain the size, window position, movie progress, and even things like equalizer settings.

I'm sure I've seen mov files that open in full screen mode by default, but I'm not sure how to make them. Maybe it requires something more than QuickTime Pro.

What kind of files are you dealing with?

With mov files, most options are savable. Just set the options in QuickTime Player and Save the file. If you try with another file type, say an avi, you will be able to save a mov file that references the avi file's data. This will retain the size, window position, movie progress, and even things like equalizer settings.

I'm sure I've seen mov files that open in full screen mode by default, but I'm not sure how to make them. Maybe it requires something more than QuickTime Pro.
Some of the files are MOV's, and the rest are MPG's, AVI's, WMV's, and MP4's. I guess I'll just re-save those as MOV's.

I can live without the full-screen mode.

Thanks for the tip!

As for the AppleScript suggestion, above, I tried that, but it's complicated because I have to keep one or more auxiliary files that contain the viewing attributes for each video, and have the script read these. I can write such a script, but I was hoping for a simpler solution. But in any case, the suggestion about saving the videos as MOV's will be plenty good enough for my purposes.

Thanks to all.
.​

Last edited:
I figured out a way to save a MOV file with instructions that it be opened full screen with QuickTime:

1. Open the MOV file in QuickTime.

2. Select Window -> Show Movie Properties

3. Click on Presentation near the middle of the window that comes up.

4. In the lower part of that window, check the box next to Enter fullscreen mode when opened. I also checked the box next to Automatically play movie when opened, but I don't know if that's really necessary.

5. Select File -> Save

The next time the MOV file is opened, it will display in fullscreen mode.
.​

Back