Photobooth not working

Billyraff

Registered
I recently purchased a used Macbook 13" for my daughter. It is less than one year old. She wanted all of her user data from our family computer to be transferred to the new machine.

I transferred her user file from our 2005 iMac G5 that does NOT have a camera (don't know if this is relevant) through firewire and the migration assistant process. Both machines were running the latest Leopard and were both up to date.

The transfer went perfectly and was even successful in getting rid of the prior owner's name that would show up all over the place. The one thing that my daughter found is that the Photo Booth app would take pictures but not save them in the tray. It just would not work. I read some threads and dropped the preferences file for the app and rebooted the machine to no avail.

I did find that Photo Booth would work in the Root or Guest accounts, just not in the account that was transferred from the old machine. Last night she was taking photos and videos using the guest account. They all saved in the tray, but when she went to log out a warning came up saying that logging out would cause all data to be lost. The pictures were all gone.

I am not finding any other issues stemming from the transfer except for this. Can anyone help to straighten this out for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

I received a response already from a tech on this site. His advice was to run a series of commands in my "terminal" none of which worked. I am new to this site and did not know how to get back to him. I decide to try again. It is really weird, as this is the only thing that is not working properly. Please help.

I think he's referring to photobooth. iPhoto is just a picture manager sort of thing. Now, here are a few things that you can try to solve your problem. I will based this solely on story
1. try the photobooth onto another user see if it works there
2. move the ~/library/preferences/com.apple.photobooth.plist to the desktop and relaunch your photobooth(make sure its quit before you move the plist.
3. try doing an archive and install
4. worst scenario: I reckon the problem lies with the migrated user, so with that said try step 1 to 2. Only try 3 if none works for you. Best if you can just backup the files manually to an external HD and then proceed with a erase and install of Leopard that will most likely fix your issue but the hassle is putting the files back however if you look at it in the long run it will save you most out of the trouble since its a fresh installation.

is it a PPC to intel migration?

Back