Please help me..I think i may have killed my drive.

8thDegreeSavage

Registered
Hey guys...i need some help here I think I may have really screwed something up by accident...

I bought a new drive.....and this is the first time I have attmepted adding a second HD to my tower...

So i got everything in, and I booted from the CD and ran Disk Util. and the drive showed up, and was labeled as "slave" as i set out to do...

So I choose to partition the drive(did I do this too soon?) and I made it one giant partition and named it....

It has been "Preparing Drive...unmounting old volumes" for a little while now....the progress bar doesnt seem to be progressing....been about 25 minutes...the drive is 120GB so is this regular behavior?

Did I miss a step?
I am not sure if partitioning it was the right idea..maybe I should have erased it to name it...didnt know...I was stupid to go ahead like that....I know this may be all my fault.

Please....help if you have the time...I am fairly worried.

hmm, takes a very short time to format a drive, i never had a drive of that capacity though. Something may be wrong. Will the system be on this drive, or is it secondary from the system drive? If it is secondary, you could have easily done this within the system you use through disk utility.

did you tell it to 'zero' the drive? If you did it is going through and writing 0's to every sector of the disk... that could take a while. But if you just asked it to format and paritiion then it should be done in no more than about 30 seconds.

Sounds like you have no data to loose, just reset if you get impatient!

OK ill reset and try again....what steps?

Im doing this on OSX 10.2.6 and the drive is a Seagate 120 GB 8mb cache Barracuda.

All I have done is made one giant partition...(chose "current" selector, which appeared to select the drive as one giant partition) then i went to partition and format as an Extended MAC format or whatever and it started then the progress bar just stalled...its been on the "Preparing Drive....unmounting old volumes" for two hours now.

You used the Jaq install CD disk utility? no reason to partition if you not going to partition the drive. Go under the Erase tab, and erase the disc. If you plan to use it under OS 9, select install OS 9 drivers.

Back