Plethora of Problems

masteroc

Registered
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum and i am posting becuase i have had multiple problems on my mac for a few weeks and thought it time to do something.
I'll start out with the problems in the order that they occured.

1. After being left on for a few days, i would come into my house and hear this very loud blowing sound. I would go to my mac, and there would be a message on the screen saying something about there being an error and having to restart, in like 5 languages, and the fans would be running extremely fast. I would restart, it would be fine for another few days.

2. Installing World Of Warcraft. First off i would like to say that i have installed over 20 programs from discs both before and after i tried to install WOW. As you might know, WOW isntall is 5 cds. At seemingly random times during the WOW install, i would get an error message saying that there was something wrong with a file on the CD. This happened randomly and on a different CD each time. To make sure there was not somethin wrong with the cd's i installed WOW on my powerbook. Installed flawlessly. However i would still much rather enjoy playing WOW on my Dual G5.

3. My friend suggested that i reinstall the OS, which by the way is OSX 10.3.9, so i reinstall and whenever i start up, i get an error saying "Could not start servive "Transport Monitor" and then it gives some sort of error message below.

Specs of Computer:
Dual 2.0Ghz G5
2.5GB Memory
160GB SATA
Nvidia 6800 Ultra Graphics Card

I am always logged on as Administrator.

I hope someone can help with these problems. I have given as much Info as i could think of. If i have left something out pls tell me and i will make sure to post it.

right, the Kernel Panics, (problem number 1) are caused usually by a hardware fault, or conflict. how often these are happening pretty much determine how serous the fault is. it's basically the coimputer going (!!!zOMG WTFz!!!? panic.)

in that case, find the original install disks for the mac, and find and run the apple hardware test, you will need to unplug most peripherals for this.

I will try the Apple Hardware Test, but what about the game World Of Warcraft not installing. Could this also have to do with the Hard Drive/Kernel Panic?

ok, i ran the Apple Hardware Test and it came up with an error code!!

It said (exactly)

Error Code
2MEM/102/4: DIMM5/J42

The Hard Drive "passed" and so did the Logic Board. It was the memory that was bad. Now, i have to find a way to fix it. I have lot of Ram in my Mac, do i just remove the stick that is bad (how do i find this one?) or is there something else i have to do?

Process of elimination. Remove all ram chips but one, run the hardware test. If it passes, repeat the process until you get the error.

remove all the ram. now, in sets of two (it needs sets of two to work), in the sets that you bought them, try different sets, untill you find the duff one, by a process of elimination.

when you find that one, either send it back and get a replacement, or just buy new ram from crucial.com (/uk)

Back