Port Forwarding: I don't know what's going wrong?!

Jakebert

Registered
Hi!

I'm having some issues forwarding some ports. Here's my setup.

Computer: MacBook (the "old" white one)

Bell Speedstreem 5200 Modem --> Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (Router, set to "create new wireless network") --> computers (MacBook)

I've gone in to Airport Utility and done the whole Port Forwarding thing (ports 6112 to 6119) in both TCP and UDP. I've done the Static IP Address (10.0.1.223). Static IP address is being used as the "Private IP" in the port forwarding. I've called Apple: they have no clue. I've called Bell: They have no clue. I've restarted both my router and my modem.

What am I missing?

Whenever I try to test the port in terminal: telnet localhost 6112
I get "connection refused" errors.

Sooooooo..... Any clues? Anyone?

Port Forwarding connects a request from "outside" your local network, via a port number, to a specific local IP address "inside" your local network. That doesn't seem to be what you want to do, or is it?

...and what's with the Telnet? No Mac computer comes with any out-of-the-box telnet services enabled, so unless you've enabled a telnet server on your Mac, your Mac will refuse telnet connections.

Telnet-ing to localhost on the MacBook will not test any ports on the router at all, because "localhost" traffic never leaves your machine and goes anywhere on the network.

Can you explain exactly what you're trying to do ("Set up a telnet server on my MacBook" or "forward ports for using bittorrent to get new linux distros" or "run a mail server on my MacBook"), like gsahli said? With that information, we can guide you through exactly what steps to perform.

...and what's with the Telnet? No Mac computer comes with any out-of-the-box telnet services enabled, so unless you've enabled a telnet server on your Mac, your Mac will refuse telnet connections.

Telnet-ing to localhost on the MacBook will not test any ports on the router at all, because "localhost" traffic never leaves your machine and goes anywhere on the network.
Aha! Didn't know that, I read it on some other forum that it was a reliable way to test for open ports. Guess they lied :(

I am trying to forward ports, specifically ports 6112-6119 to be able to host games with Blizzard's Warcraft3. portforwarding.com is not helpful (i've already tried).

I am trying to forward ports, specifically ports 6112-6119 to be able to host games with Blizzard's Warcraft3. portforwarding.com is not helpful (i've already tried).

Oh. Find your router's external (internet) IP address, then do the telnet thing to that IP address, like -
telnet 98.77.141.17:6112

Hmmm I tried that, I get a "connection refused" message. Any ideas? I got my "external" IP from PortForward.com.

Back