power charge application for macbooks

zoranb

Registered
im looking for an application that will allow to charge the macbook automatically when the battery is down. so although the charger will be in the power input the laptop will not charge but only if its batter runs down.
this way there will be less power used since the laptop will charge only when it needs to

I would think that any developer thinking of creating an app like that would deem it pretty useless since you can just reach over and unplug the adapter when the machine is charged and plug it back in when it needs charging. But just because the adapter is plugged in and the battery is fully charged, it doesn't mean it is constantly drawing power and charging the battery, although it is drawing power to run the machine. When the battery has reached full charge, it does not charge anymore and the machine will run off AC power. Then when the AC power is unplugged the machine runs on battery.

Plugging it in and out all the time is not a very pratctical thing to do especially in the times we live in that we try to do everything as more automated as possible!

Also when the machine reaches 100% ok it stops charging but it doesnt take too long to go down to 99%, so then it starts drawing power again to charge. Then that means that its charging all the time when its plugged in constantly, thats why sutch an app is required in my humble opinion!

The charger normally will not begin charging again, until the battery's charge drops below 95%. The charging rate (the current drawn by the power adapter) is quite low when the charge level is that high, so little additional current will be drawn while connected and charging. The highest current is used when the battery charge is quite low (probably less than 50%)
So, your MacBook only charges when it needs to - as you asked, and does not charge constantly.
The charge rate is lower (so less cost), than letting the battery discharge to a low level, where the current used (and cost) would be higher. It's more efficient to allow the charger to control the charging. It does not charge constantly, unless charging is needed...

i see,i suppose that you have seen numbers and can share them with us to "prove" that what you say is correct.
still if every 94% the battery needs charging then that percent is very close to a constant charge and to compare to see witch charge costs less (the full charge or the constant/partial from 94%) we need to see numbers and testings!
(no offence)

You asked the question, and I provided the answer - that the charger already only charges automatically when needed - which is what you asked, eh?
If you need to use your MacBook on battery right now, which would you prefer - a nearly full charge, or some low charge because your software didn't kick in the charging yet?
My point is - let the intelligent charging circuit do its job, and don't try to over-think the charging process.

im gratefull and i thank you for your answer but is your answer based on some oficial numbers, thats only what im asking!

Yes.
I have 'officially' been observing various laptop charging schemes for (approx) the last 15 years. I personally like how Apple does it, and (even though some question the schemes) have not had any problems with charging on a working system.
I am not an expert (although an Apple-authorized tech), simply an experienced user.

so you say that in a daily use (aprox 24hr) i will consume less power if i continuesly have the macbook connected to the power sourse, rather than connecting and disconnecting it and let it make full charges though out those 24hrs?
is that what you are saying?

No, I didn't say that...
I was responding to what I thought was your original question, where you do not seem to ask about disconnecting the power plug.
im looking for an application that will allow to charge the macbook automatically when the battery is down. so although the charger will be in the power input the laptop will not charge but only if its batter runs down.
this way there will be less power used since the laptop will charge only when it needs to

If you disconnect from power, then you are, of course, not consuming any AC power, until you plug in again. I would say that you will consume more electrical power for a full charge from a completely discharged battery, as you would use full current for a longer period of time (and the power used for using the laptop at the same time.)
Also - Continually allowing your battery to discharge completely, then fully recharge, is not a recommended plan for long battery life.

Also - Continually allowing your battery to discharge completely, then fully recharge, is not a recommended plan for long battery life.
not recommended for a long battery life? what would be the best use of the power source for a long battery life? to have it always plugged into power?

No...
Use it as a portable - use it plugged in as a desktop replacement, whatever use you want to make of it.
Reread what I said - please don't read into that something that I didn't say.
I was trying to make a point about not mistreating your battery, which can lead to a shortened overall life.
You will be using power to run the laptop, and you will use more power to charge the battery at the same time. It should be more efficient to have charging run less often, where you normally maintain most of a full charge.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to know how to have balance in that use of power, eh? Your MacBook actually does a fair job on its own. Rarely let your Macbook run completely to a flat battery. The system will allow for that, through the Safe Sleep mode. You might follow Apple's recommendation for calibrating the battery - some people do that far too often, I think. Once per year should be good, unless you think you are having problems with the battery showing an incorrect amount of battery life.
What else do you need?

The battery will last depending on the model around 300 cycles, one cycle being 100 % charge down and up cumulatively. If you charge the computer to 100%, then let it use the power until 0-5 % left and plug it back to power for charging and keep repeating on that, using the computer 8 hours a day will cumulate you needing a new battery at least twice a year. When the battery in its typical state (plugged in mains) goes in a few days from 100 % to 94 % before recharging to 100 %, that 6 % takes much longer to cumulate to 1 cycle (that would be around 20 times down to 94 % and back to 100 % to get one cycle).
The link g/re/p sent explains more of the battery behavior. If you want to keep using it only on battery except when recharging, go ahead - it will just increase the cycles for that battery very fast. And a 3 month old battery with a cycle count of 300 is not covered by its warranty.

Okay, turns out I was mistaken in most of my knowledge, if you google Apple battle maintenance: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...qi=g1&aql=&oq=apple:+battery+mainten&gs_rfai= then youll find what you need.

Overall, I've seen batteries last 3 years as a average max, and I can speak to this with mine. Its currently around 30%, which is low enough to be an inaccurate reading, so its probably actually lower than that. This happened when I started to fly without a charger and do half drains, quarter drains, and sometimes even leaving it fully drained for a while before charging it, and then again not fully charging it.

Last edited:
Ok so lets suppose that what all is said here is true, is there a guide published by Apple it self, on how to treat theirs so called "cutting edge in battery technology" batteries? And if not, why didnt Apple do so?

Ok so lets suppose that what all is said here is true, is there a guide published by Apple it self, on how to treat theirs so called "cutting edge in battery technology" batteries? And if not, why didnt Apple do so?

Here you go, and here is something else on calibration. Can this thread be put out of its misery now?

Back