PowerBook G4 Al 1.25Ghz 15" - Heat Problem HD

owaters

Registered
Hi,

I have recently been experiencing some odd behaviour from my PowerBook and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same or can help me out.

In the past month my PowerBook has had to have its HD replaced twice. The Apple Authorised Service Centre has put this down to a faulty HD in both cases. However, I feel that it may be something else, possibly related to an odd occurrence I have experienced recently.

When I ever use my PowerBook on my lap or another soft surface it gets very hot. When I ever move the laptop around, even if it is just tilting it a tiny bit it starts making a whirring noise as it is moved. The second it is still, it stops.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance :)

I just recently sold my PB 1.25 to get a G5. Mine had the same symptoms, except the hard drive issues. I believe the noise came from the fans; as you move the PB, joslted around and thus make that funny whrrrrr noise. Mine also got a bit on the hot side, but that was only when I was using FCX or Soundtrack.

I rang Apple today and they said it was most likely to be the fans. They recommended using the laptop on a hard surface, not on soft surfaces like my lap! So basically a laptop shouldn't be used on your lap......guess that's why Apple fiddled it and called it a PowerBook!

I dunno if this will help you, but here's a handy utility to keep an eye on these things:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

As for keeping it on soft surfaces, your lap acts as a better insulator than a table top, so the temperature is going to naturally rise. Keep you legs together and let the vents breath (ie, sit in a hard chair, not your lazy boy :) )

The program I suggested will give you the temps on a number of different components in the machine, and show you what's generating the most heat- it even lets you put the temp in the menubar in the Lite version included in the DL

Hope my words help.

~was

Back