Powerbook G4 won't go further than grey apple screen

Convert

Tech
1.33Ghz 12 inch Powerbook 512mb RAM

I was just using the powerbook, when suddenly everything locked up. I left it for 10 minutes and it had still not responded so I decided to do a hard reset. Now the apple screen appears but there is no loading indicator, and the powerbook processor sounds like it is struggling to do something. I've left it for about 30 minutes and it's still on the same screen. What do I do?

Is it using the stock RAM that came with it? Have you tried zapping the PRAM? How about Single User Mode?

I don't know how to do either. The RAM is the original 256/built-in 256/card set up. Thanks for the quick reply.

To zap the PRAM, hold down Command-Option-P-R after the startup chime.

However, you might want to do the following. Hold down Command-Option-O-F to go into Open Firmware. Once in there, type "reset-nvram" and hit return. Once returned to the prompt, typr "reset-all", hit Return, and the Mac will reboot. Be sure to leave out the quotes on both commands. Hope this helps.

I am also having a simliar issue... I was doing clean install of Panther and sometime towards the end of the first install disk my compter restarts and all I get is the grey apple screen with nothing on it.

So i opened up the Firmware screen using Command-Option-O-F and found there to be numerous USB setup errors. What is this exactly? And is there a fix?

The USB setup errors look like this:
USB Setup Error: 5c000000 80000
USB Setup Error: 5c000000 80001
0 2 1 failed to resopond

The USB setup errors look like this:
USB Setup Error: 5c000000 80001
0 2 1 failed to resopond

If this is a PowerBook/ iBook, changes are you're looking at a Logic Board replacement.

no i tryed dowing this
nixgeek
SlackerMaccer Join Date: Jan 2004

To zap the PRAM, hold down Command-Option-P-R after the startup chime.

However, you might want to do the following. Hold down Command-Option-O-F to go into Open Firmware. Once in there, type "reset-nvram" and hit return. Once returned to the prompt, typr "reset-all", hit Return, and the Mac will reboot. Be sure to leave out the quotes on both commands. Hope this helps.

now i c some codes on my screen help ,e

Back