Powerbook Titanium 1Gig with partitioned drive

luca007

Registered
I have recently bought a used Powerbook Titanium 1gig and partitioned the drive for OS Tiger and a separate OS 9.2.2(not classic).
Somehow my powerbook doesn't let me install OS9.2.2.
Anyone know what I have to do?
Thanks,
Luca

thanks for responding Dalibal.
Yes I have no problem with installing Tiger on one partition, but my Powerbook is not letting me install a separate system(OS 9.2.2) on the other partition. I wanted to have 9.2.2 to run some old programs on, and Tiger for newer ones.
My research says that Titanium was the last bootable into 9.2.2, but I can't even install it.
Cheers,
Luca

When you installed Tiger, did you make sure to install the drivers for OS 9? I think it was a check box you needed to check.

Bob,
I am trying to keep the OS 9.2.2 separate from Tiger as it is on a separate partition. Would I have to still install the drivers for OS 9 in Tiger even though it is completely separated?
Thanks for all your help.
Luca

Even though OS 9 would be on a different partition, the OS 9 drivers would still have to be installed in order to be able to boot into OS 9.

bobw said:
When you installed Tiger, did you make sure to install the drivers for OS 9? I think it was a check box you needed to check.

I believe one sets that option from within Disk Utility. Try erasing the OS9 partition and see if somewhere there's a checkbox for installing the OS9 drivers. If not accessible there, then you might have to erase the whole drive in order to be given that option. (Hopefully that's not the case, so look hard when you erase the OS9 partition.) Notice, though, that you won't be able to erase the whole hard disk if it's also your start-up disk when you attempt to erase.

Edit: I see Bob is helping you. Disregard my message, unless you both get stuck.

Thanks Bob and Dusky,
your help is extremely appreciated, this forum rocks!
I will try a re-install(since there is nothing to save anyhow) and I will get back to you guys.
I just want the ability to be able to boot into Tiger or OS 9.2.2 pending on which platform to choose.
Talk to yoy soon.
And again thanks guys, I hope this works.
Cheers,
Luca

Well I installed Tiger with the checkbox for installing the drivers, no problem.
I have one partition with Tiger.
When I insert the 9.2.2 disc, and try to install I get a message that states,'This program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information.'
I've read the documents and it should not be a problem.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Luca

luca007 said:
Well I installed Tiger with the checkbox for installing the drivers, no problem.
I have one partition with Tiger.
When I insert the 9.2.2 disc, and try to install I get a message that states,'This program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information.'
I've read the documents and it should not be a problem.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Luca

Is it possible that your OS9 CD is actually an UPGRADE CD? If that's the case, you need to find the CD that installs a full version of OS9. What's the labeling on the CD?

Here's an excerpt from an article quoting Apple:

"Use the Mac OS 9.1 CD that came with your computer. Because your computer was produced after the release of Mac OS 9.1, it requires the computer-specific version of Mac OS 9.1 that came with it."

Here's the article:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=2691

I know that your version is 9.2.2, but this is only one of the articles I've found stating that the OS9 install CDs are hardware specific; what works on one might not work on another. In other words, is that the CD that originally came (from Apple) with your PowerBook? I'm not suggesting that you go and find yourself a copy of OS 9.1. In fact, the reason why OS 9.1 is cited here is that it was (I believe) the latest version of OS9 when the article was published (March 28, 2001). So, for your case, the advice should read: get the computer-specific version of OS9 that came with your computer.

Sorry, that's all I can tell you. Let's hope someone will drop by and guide you further.

Thanks so much for your time Dusky, I appreciate it.
I just ordered another set of system disks for the powerbook to make sure.
Hope it works then.
Thanks for the resourceful article.
Cheers,
Luca

Hey Bob,
I'll keep you guys posted when I get the original system disks from Apple I ordered yesterday. Hope that works.
Thanks for all your help too.
Luca

Back