powerbook vs powermac

ahmettaha

Registered
I have a powermac 533 and Im thinking about changing it to a powerbook 500 or 550. do you think there is gonna be any performance diffrence between them. or are they more less the same

First, your 5300 is a 100 mHz 603 processor with a 40Mhz bus speed. You can go up to 64 MB of RAM.

The PB 550c is an 040 processor with only 33mHZ speed and a 33Mhz bus speed. That is slower that what you have.

The PB 500 is a 603e processor that is 100 mHz but it's bus speed is only 33mHz and you can only upgrade the RAM to 40 MB.

Do you want portability or performance? The machine you have now is the best if you max out the RAM.

boy the optical drives in those old Ti's really sucked. Other than that, they're great. And if it's all the same cash to you, the Ti offers lots of power and mobility.

Tho old Ti's and even the not so old ones have kinda weak graphics cards in them. Is that a concern for you?

As for other stuff, you can put a second monitor, external keyboard and mouse, external drives, etc. You can make the Ti just about everything the tower can be, so it's all good.

If you're not sure which way to go, I always recommend the portable to anyone who can afford it. you won't know how it empowers you until you live it for a while.

so selling the g4 533 and buy a ti powerbook 500 wont really hurt me? or should I definetly go for the 550?

how much do you think i can get for g4 533mhz/ 768mb ram/ 28gb+37gb hdd/gforce2 mx/ dvd from ebay? 1500?

I really don't know what you can get for your machine, or what those TiBooks will run. But as far as I'm concerned, they're all the same speed. At most 10% speed difference between the processors. Worry about peripherals, RAM, reliability and cost before you worry about 10% processor speed.

used powerbooks with a little less ram and about 30 gig hd is about the same price with my mac I think. is there anything else that I should look for?

Back