PPPoE setup

dave17lax

Inventor of the Egg Wave
Hey.

I am having some trouble setting up my dsl connection using PPPoE and OSX. I have one mac running straight through to the dsl modem. It's fine by itself, but when I try to throw a router into the mix, i cannot connect.

My router is an asante 10/100 router. I have it set up to connect with PPPoE. It also has a DHCP server, to provide #'s for the macs (which are set up to connect through DHCP).

If anyone knows anything on the subject, I'd appreciate a hand.

Thank U

more than likely you need the mac set to dhcp, and the router set to pppoe. If the router is a Lynksys you can do this by going to 192.168.1.1 in ie, and put in the password of admin... (as long as you have your network set to dhcp)

if this has been done, turn off the power to the computer, dsl modem, and router.... then turn on the modem, then the router, then the computer....

Hmm well it is now working. It seems that that automatic update does not always work, and does require a restart of either the system, or the network hardware. I also upgraded the firmware on the router, which will hopefully help.
Not as easy as I'd like, but doable.

Thanks

Back