Prebinding

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
I just wanted to say something about prebinding.

I recently downloaded and installed the April 2002 Beta Developer Tools. At the end of the installation, it, of course, prebound the system resources.

_O_M_G_ is my computer so much faster after it did that. OmniWeb literally loads web pages in 1 second where it previously was loading them in about 10 seconds. Mail.app is also much faster, where it used to be really slow in switching folders.

I didn't realize that something as simple as prebinding can do so much for performance.

Well, I'm really not complaining any more – I was WONDERING why OmniWeb was going so slow...

I guess the moral of the story is that if your comp's running slow, just do some prebinding. :)

Ok, I have seen several references to prebinding... Since I am not a developer, I have a limited understanding of how anything like this works. When you say prebind your system, what exactly are you talking about?

And one final question? Why, if this speeds up your system so much, why didn't apple do this for us?

update_prebinding really improves the way your OSX works. Just try to do it with MOX Optimize, which is, acording to me, the most complete and comprehensive shareware to do that job.
In the prebindings section, choose the advanced method. You will see, in a terminal window, how many things had to be prebind. It's sometimes really impressive.

In fact, you could do this by your own, with this syntax :
sudo -S update_prebinding -root

You forgot something in your syntax:

In fact, you could do this by your own, with this syntax :
sudo -S update_prebinding -root

When I tried this I got the "Usage" dialog. Seems you have to add the directory after the -root:

sudo -S update_prebinding -root /

Or whatever directory you wish to update the prebinding on. By the way, how does the -S option on sudo work? Just curious, I've never seen it before and the man file is not very clear on this.

Thanks.:)
SA

So what does one do when their update_prebinding doesn't work? Specifically, I get about 1000 files that need to be "re-prebound". If I use the force option, my system slows to a crawl until I update without the force option.

Clean reinstall..? :(

And one final question? Why, if this speeds up your system so much, why didn't apple do this for us?

apple does provide it. everytime you install an update and have to wait for "optimization" to take place, you are really waiting on prebinding.

and the short version of what it is - creating a database of locations of apps so the system can find them quicker. at least that's my understanding.

Originally posted by nkuvu
So what does one do when their update_prebinding doesn't work? Specifically, I get about 1000 files that need to be "re-prebound". If I use the force option, my system slows to a crawl until I update without the force option.

Clean reinstall..? :(

For some reason, force prebinding requires a restart before you see the performance gain. Weird, but true.

the -S is so you don't have to do the sudo command again after not using the terminal for 5 min.

BTW, how can i scoll down in man - pages?
i can only c the first page. when i try to scroll down using the arrow keys, nothing but a system beep happens.:confused:

Hit <space> to scroll down in man pages. I think <p> might go back (previous), but I can't remember. The <q> key quits man.

-Rob

Originally posted by Dradts
BTW, how can i scoll down in man - pages?
i can only c the first page. when i try to scroll down using the arrow keys, nothing but a system beep happens.:confused:
Hit h while in the man pages. This will show you the help docs (brief) and the key commands. To advance a page use the space bar (works in OW also :) )

For full documentation, type man man.

Edit: forgot the other part!

Exact key commands depend on the pager you use. I don't recall what the default pager is for man, but it's probably more. I like to use less on my system. This can be changed using the PAGER system variable, IIRC.

I believe the only way to extend the timestamp on the sudo command is either to use "sudo -v" (to get another 5 minutes) or to modify the /etc/sudoers files. In any case "sudo -S" has nothing to do with password expiration

My mistake...-S is so you won't have to type sudo in front of every command you write in Terminal.

Originally posted by Paragon

My mistake...-S is so you won't have to type sudo in front of every command you write in Terminal.

Thanks Paragon. I've been searching for that till buc99 asked me for. If it's this, I really don't know why Infosoft wrote the command line this way.
I'll ask them.

Still don't have any answers from Infosoft about the "-S".

But something was said that make me think about :

Originally posted by simX

For some reason, force prebinding requires a restart before you see the performance gain. Weird, but true.

Is that why you can't see a single trick to put a update_prebinding command in the crontab ?

Back