presentation for linux user group

macidiot

Registered
I am giving a presentation for my local linux user group on OSX and I want to really show the unix side of OS X, I have a few ideas, but nothing too exciting... so what I am asking is for some suggestions on cool things that will impress hard core unix heads...

THanks in advance....

It would probably be a neat idea, if they're more into end-user applications and such (they're idealists, not tech-heads) to show them Fink, show them X-windows running in rootless mode. Put Gnome and Gimp on the same desktop as MS-Word, DreamWeaver and Photoshop, and show them how you can use the same file system to support all the software, both open-source Unix and mainstream apps. To a developer, this is a godsend. (A bit of power would help here, though)
Also, consider showing them the info-panels in Finder and how they relate to Unix file permissions.

type 'cd ' into a terminal then drag a folder from the Finder into the terminal window |-)

If you really want to impress them however, note that there are human interface guidelines for Mac OS X programming. Then point out that X11 apps are more chaotic than the command line (an impressive feat indeed!).

Although that might be shaming them, not impressing them.

these are all great suggestions!

Mostly the group is about getting more people to use linux/unix so showing how Mac OS X is a powerful OS that can do unix tasks with the style and grace needed to be an every day OS for everyone (including non-unix professionals) is key...

I would hope the idea would be to get less people using linux and get them to running a real OS.

You could always point out to them that OS X isn't coded by a drunk fin. That unlike linux, they didn't have to rewrite every core unix service because it wasn't under the GPL because the BSD license wasn't free enough for them. Oh, but I degress.....

Brian

Hey everyone... the meeting was a success! when I came in with my mac everyone was making fun of me for having a mac, when I was finished there wasn't a person in the room who didn't say they wanted to get a mac now!

THANKS!!!

Back